Help!!! Engine Smokes On Start Up (heavy)

marceb16

Help!!! Engine Smokes On Start Up (heavy)

#1 Post by marceb16 »

Two out of the last twelve times I went to ride my quad (after it had sat for a min of 4 days) the engine seemed to crank real hard and did not want to turn over. It seemed as though the engine was liquid locked or the battery was just about out of juice. Once the engine finally started (after a few spits coughs and sputters) there was quite a bit of white smoke pouring from the exhaust. Once running the engine sounded normal both times. The case oil was visible (half way up the site window) and everything else was normal. This quad has no more the 35 hours on it and I have done all the up dates that I know of, Stage 8 kit installed, updated the motor mount, vent hose, valve cover, battery trey, and I run evens coolant now???????????????. Am I missing anything? Some say I am anal about my maintenance. I wash the bike and clean the air filter after every ride and change the oil after every other ride. I use Golden Spectra 20W50 in the engine and 80W in the case. Do you think I have to much oil in this thing? Or could it be the engine oil check valve? I was told by another rider that there is a check valve in the spar or just inside the engine that shuts of oil to the motor when it is not running. And if that check valve is not working rite oil will flood the engine and eventually get around the rings and into the cylinder, especially if it sits for to long, which will cause the engine to spoke like a chimney. I just want this thing to last and the smoke worries me???????????????BIG TIME? Any help you can offer up would be great? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!

southbaymoto

#2 Post by southbaymoto »

My first question is do or did you store your bike in a upright manner (i.e. on rear grab bar? This will cause oil to leak into the cylinder and produce your smoking issue.

If not is it possible that the smoke is coolant? You may have a cracked sleve or a bad seal at the head.

There is also a possibility that your valve stem seals are bad if the smoke is oil. Look into the obvious first.

Dustin
SBM

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

I'm not going to doubt anything Southbay says, but I've seen these exact symptoms caused by a broken decompression arm.

nuge

#4 Post by nuge »

Had a similar problem - theory from cannondale27 fit the symptoms pretty well (checkball leak & hydrolock).

http://cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread...=&threadid=3069

marceb16

#5 Post by marceb16 »

Well the collant level is normal and the bkie is always stored on all 4's. Any other ideas ?

After looking at Nuge's thread it sounds like it may be the checkball leak & hydrolock problem that Cannondaler27 told him about.

Lippy91

#6 Post by Lippy91 »

When you wash it after every ride do you put it up on the wheelie bar? It happened to me once, after washing. It leaked oil out of the exhaust.

marceb16

#7 Post by marceb16 »

Not everytime...and besides it has never smoked after I washed it (I alwasy ride it around the yard once I'm done) It only smokes after it has sat for a few days but not every time.rolleyes.gif

drbowtie

#8 Post by drbowtie »

Hey,

How do you transport your quad? Do you move it in a truck? Mine did the exact same thing once.

I move mine in a truck and I didn't own a ramp so what I would do is... "up with the front tires" and then... "get off the truck walk around and lift the back up". I spoke with someone and don't remember who. But they told me that there is a check valve in the frame. So if the quad is tipped up high enough it will unseat and then oil runs into the engine while it is sitting.

Immediatly after that I bought a ramp and now I never lift the nose high after I shut it off. I believe that this worked because it has never happened again.

HOUSER CDALE

#9 Post by HOUSER CDALE »

Standing the bike up will cause oil to get into the cylinder? My brother has his on end in is garage all the time for days or weeks at a time and has no problems. How come some have this problem and some dont?

EuroGOD

#10 Post by EuroGOD »

For about 4 months last year, I drove all over Europe with 4 quads all standing on their ends. Not one of them smoked when unloaded.....ever!