BIG PROBLEM!! with lower a-arm ball joint

dawzie

#51 Post by dawzie »

smile.gif Ohhhhhhhhhhhh this is sounding good!!!!!!! Sign me up for four joints please.

DangerRanger

#52 Post by DangerRanger »

Three big missers that can change the course of future c-dalers, dinli-dalers, and atk-dalers.

sub wiring (major problem, that was overlooked) for the ECU
ball joint information
main wiring concerns

I have spent the last year working countless hours to dig into these, and it is slowy paying off, I guess working at a cannondale dealer since day one tinkering has been a good thing.

I need to get this to all the right people so we can take off where C-dale ended...no need to take a step back

bknight

#53 Post by bknight »

will lets just holp that the ball dont get drop on this one
by them
just got my new ball joints from atk one had the clip one did not
not to much greas in them :eek:

Speed Rider

ball joints and wiring

#54 Post by Speed Rider »

So if I am understanding this correctly, if there is a plastic shim in the ball joints they need to be replaced?

I'll check mine and see.

What about the wiring issues? I have my quad disassembled right now and it would be a good time to do any wiring upgrades. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks a lot for the info and help on ball joints.

cannondale27

#55 Post by cannondale27 »

Way to go Ben!Maybe we need to arrange a meeting at dealer show between all of us who are going and Dinli and ATK so we can make them understand how important your solutions are to us?Let us know.

DangerRanger

#56 Post by DangerRanger »

The shim is not the marking.

two things one if the ball joints have any numbers or markings ie letters/numbers on the top surface, they are recall versions, any with spring clips not around the boot are recall, their was one other, but I need to get a pic up, it only distinguished by the shape, no markings or noticable differences from the good ones.

To keep the good ones in shape use this tip.

Go to your local bike store and buy some liquid moly lube for cables. BikeAid brand is preferred. It comes in a saline solution looking bottle with a flip top, and a very long thin needle. Run the needle between the boot and ball joint shaft, and squirt for a few seconds, stop, then repeat, until a bit of the solution comes out the boot joint. work the joint around and let set a few minutes. This is moly suspended in a solution that evaporates leaving only dry moly which is awesome for extending the life, and leaves no greasy residue to attract dirt. The stuff is cheap too, works great on cables and pivot points(I use it in the a-ams bushings I designed which have lasted over a season of GNCC, harescrambles and trail riding.) Jeff@Quadshop's new ATK ride, and John will be running them this season too.

DangerRanger

#57 Post by DangerRanger »

Sounds like a plan Steve....if I can get a reply from anyone...whoever is willing to listen, will benefit greatly.

PS The dealer I worked tech for every weekend shutdown last week after over 14years of business. Keith got me on at APS starting in two months doing the ATV/Sportbike/Electricla tech stuff I did for him. It is just saturdays again, which is great, but I gotta pull a few strings to get in the dealer show...I think it is a go, but if not....lets just say I will be there, count on it.

I love the industry...and I think ATK and Dinli still haven't fully realized their potential..I have ridden both the new YFZ and 450r....overall they don't hold a candle to even the first dales...and with some help...they still won't.

Pretty bad that I will be running the shop that now handles Honda, Suz, Kawi, Yami, KTM, All Caigiva line...and still riding a dale...guess I haven't found something better yet.

My full-time employer has even helped me out with some things I am working on for development....they deserve credit too.

Jaybr

#58 Post by Jaybr »

Ben, just caught up on this thread. I'll make it a sticky and call you today, sorry for the delay.

4strokemadman

#59 Post by 4strokemadman »

Just wanted to chime in again here. The only ball joints that were ever recalled by Cannondale were the THK ball joints with lettering on them. Any of the subsequent ball joints weren't covered under the recall.

If you don't have lettering that says "THK" on your ball joint they are not recalled ball joints.

There was a change in production of the newer style ball joints where the boot was changed for better sealing and a wireclip was added. The very early ball joints from the non THK manufacturer would wear quicker because the boot did not stay against the shaft good enough. Hence the change in boot and wireclip.

Another thing, read my earlier post as this may not be a ball joint issue at all.

DangerRanger

#60 Post by DangerRanger »

and Paul arrives!!!smile.gif

The info from our day one with c-dale listed two different ball joints, and the newest being unmarked. The hardcopy I have shows the two recall versions, and a pic of the update style. This was a color copy sent to us. I did however find later on that the "kits" came with a black and white copy showing only one model, and a pic of the updated version, this copy was put in each bag of the upgrade kit. maybe this was misinfo...I have three versions of ball joints. one each of the believed bad ones, and a few of the new style. maybe the middle was a update, or change from you know who?

seems that all the locals I checked out, along with some auction and personal sales, seemed to have a ton of the bad version in them...:confused: hmmm, looks like some more digging to do.

ben