BIG PROBLEM!! with lower a-arm ball joint

nicksglamis440

BIG PROBLEM!! with lower a-arm ball joint

#1 Post by nicksglamis440 »

Hi I have a 2003 glamis 440 c-dale. I bought in new in august. We were at the dunes for a week. Well at the end of the week, I was riding down the the bottom of a dune in first gear and pop, out comes the right lower ball joint, it pulled the ball joint right out of the socket. So we load it in the truck. I am thinking well it is just a freak thing. Well I just got back tonight from the dunes again for a week. On monday I am going down the flats doing a wheelie in 3erd gear, I go to set it down, pop out comes the left ball joint right out of the socket, the bike did 5 indos, and I got a little brused up. Luckly i have a complete front end kit so I could fix it. But inside the ball joint was no grease either? So I am now scared to death to get back on the bike. I am going to order a set of new a-arms with maybe the heim joint, what is the best to buy. And has this happend to anybody else?:mad:

thunderwolf

#2 Post by thunderwolf »

Just curious if you checked them by rocking the tire vertically? If you did could you feel any play? I know that mine have play in them and I am getting scared to ride it.

nicksglamis440

#3 Post by nicksglamis440 »

No their was no play. Both times this has happend their has ben no warning. I would be scared also, I am not going to ride mine again tell I get new a-arms.

cannondale440

#4 Post by cannondale440 »

I have never read of that or mine has never done that.
Yeah thats weird, my ball joints are completely shot and have been for a long time. I just keep riding it, even on the track. I can probably move my wheel vertically an inch. Working on Saving the money for a complete houser front end. Anyway hope that doesn't happen anymore.

bknight

#5 Post by bknight »

im a little scared now.
whent out and look at mine right side was tight
but the left man the play in that one and this is a new atv maybe 15r on this one

DMAC10

Be Afraid , Very Afraid

#6 Post by DMAC10 »

On the issues of ball joints popping, Get new ones immediately, or new a-arms. I popped the lower right out during a Mid South Hare scramble, luckily not very fast section. I thought that they were in pretty good condition, not much play. So I got new Ball joints for the Right upper and lower A-arms. Next week end, went to Land Between the Lakes (Turkey BAY ), Fast Section down hill jumps, heard the pop on the left, Next thing you know I'm passing my own four wheeler in mid air, First thoughts, Oh Sh**T this is going to hurt. Best we can figure is the lower ball joint came out and during the aftermath, of tumbling, the upper came out. So the only thing Holding my wheel on,was the tie-rod end ( which I bought from someone on Here, (getting old can't remember names)), but I highly recommend them. Busted front plastic, bent handle bar clamp, damaged ego, bumps, scratches and bruises, but no major damage. The good new is I was out front. But any way, if your ball joints feel loose, I would recommend getting them replaced. Talked to Doug and he said these cannondale ball joints aren't to good, he's trying to find a replacement but no luck so far. ATK has new ones in stock around $27 each.

40+ and still ridin:usa

DMAC10

#7 Post by DMAC10 »

Tie Rod Ends, I got them from RetroZ, The mind works a little slow, Maybe to many tumbles. Hey these are great tie rod ends and he is a very good guy to deal with.

40+ and still ridin

bknight

#8 Post by bknight »

nuts ummm i think ill take one out down to the napa store
to see what i can come up with boy this bugs me

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Cannondale had at least three different designs for balljoints as a matter of fact they had a Safety Recall of the joints in the first Cannibles and FX400 the ones they replaced them with werent much better except they were steel rather than aluminum.
The ones to look for have a wire clip on the rubber boot to keep the grease in.If you get a grease needle and grease these when new they will last a long time the rest of the styles are just plain junk.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

I just replaced my lower ball joints. They were pretty bad. Probably about 1/4-3/8" of vertical movement in the stud. They never came apart, but I was nervous- apparently for good reason! Glad no one's been hurt too bad!

The old one's were dry, which might be expected after a year and a half of hard riding. The new one's have been juiced up with the grease needle and i'll pay a little more attention to this set!