BIG PROBLEM!! with lower a-arm ball joint

wyndzer

#71 Post by wyndzer »

I just got some from you guys and they look like good ones to me:clap:

bknight

#72 Post by bknight »

Go to your local bike store and buy some liquid moly lube for cables. BikeAid brand is preferred. It comes in a saline solution looking bottle with a flip top, and a very long thin needle. Run the needle between the boot and ball joint shaft, and squirt for a few seconds, stop, then repeat, until a bit of the solution comes out the boot joint. work the joint around and let set a few minutes. This is moly suspended in a solution that evaporates leaving only dry moly which is awesome for extending the life, and leaves no greasy residue to attract dirt. The stuff is cheap too, works great on cables and pivot points(I use it in the a-ams bushings I designed which have lasted over a season of GNCC,

whent out to day looking for that stuff no where to be had.
what about sume kind of teflon liquid.
brad thank you so much

DangerRanger

#73 Post by DangerRanger »

Knight, ask the shop if they have liquid moly lube, teflon might work, but it readily draws moisture, which can cause corrosion of the ball itself.

Ben

TheJaspMan

#74 Post by TheJaspMan »

I am picking my quad up this week. I must have been mistaken, but I thought when I looked at it the ball joints had zerks? Is that not the case. I can remember thinking how impressive the ball joints 'looked' compared to others I have worked with. Or was I just seeing things?

bknight

#75 Post by bknight »

there is zerks on the tie rods??
and the arms that bolt up to the frame on the moto.
i think but on the glamis there is none just the tie rods

TheJaspMan

#76 Post by TheJaspMan »

Yah, I'm an idiot. I was thinking ball joints and picturing tie rod ends. Sorry about that.

thunderwolf

#77 Post by thunderwolf »

Does anyone have a picture of their failed ball joint? I am curious how most of them are failing.
Mine were loose, but had no visible failure. After I put the new ones in I tapped the lids of the old ones and peened the lid in place. They felt fine after I did this. I kept them for spares, so when or if the new ones wear out I'll put these back in and see how they do.

TheJaspMan

#78 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by ******
are you going to produce these for sale for us government workers:eek: biggrin.gif

I'm sure he will, but it will cost you three times as much and you will have to lie about it just to feel good. :eek:

Big B

#79 Post by Big B »

Whats the deal with the ball joints guys?Rode this weekend at LBL and while going down a nasty hill 3rd gear POP out comes the right side lower ball joint managed to not die(as you can tell)but scared the **** out of me.We managed to pop it back in and with some thick wire wrapped around the balljoint and a arm I was able to ride the rest of the weekend.Where can a man get the good balljoints and what kind of price are we looking at?Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement A arms that wont put a brother in the poor house?:confused:

bknight

#80 Post by bknight »

www.atk.com parts i think it was $ 26 ea
read Brad Oakley post on this page 5