BIG PROBLEM!! with lower a-arm ball joint

J. Delaney

#81 Post by J. Delaney »

The ball joints on my Cannibal only had a little bit of loosness in them too! $27 from ATk, I think Maz might have them a bit cheaper. This is an easy and cheap repair! Don't push your luck! If there is any loosness in your ball joints, swap them out!

wistech

#82 Post by wistech »

Well ,heres my solution. Hack off the ball joint holder and tap the built in round tubing for a the hiem joints already out there built for the aftermarket arms. It may require an insert welded in of the correct size but would be eliminating the worry of any dale joints and would make the stock arms camber adjustable to. I will build some if anyone is interested. I think only the lower arms would need this because there is very little stress on the upper ones but both could be done. The only cost would be for new hiem joints .Anyone want to try it out . Witech engineering is here for you.

bknight

#83 Post by bknight »

would you have a ball park cost
for the top and bottem???

wistech

#84 Post by wistech »

We wjr and I are going to make a few test sets first but I am sure we could get them under 100 bucks with some stainless steel hiems. Really the only one that needs to be updated is the lower ones because they are taking all the wieght of the quad. I think the upper ones pop out from when the lower one lets go and twists it out of the socket. It would be half the price just to do the lowers. Give us a week or 2 to test it out.

Happyboy

#85 Post by Happyboy »

Got any results wistech? You people scare me with your stories.

I had a similar thing happen on a warrior and yeah, it scared the crap outta me. It came on on landing a small jump. I slammed into the handlebars then looked down and noticed my wheel leaning out from the bike. Gotta love this stuff.

wistech

#86 Post by wistech »

Im sorry I thought I already responded to this post a while back. Darn Brain damage. It looks like there are a couple of easy options. I noticed on my moto that the front upper sleeve and joint fit right in the standard arm hole when the end is cut off. The pic shows the moto upper but it would be fairly easy to do if you could find a thrust rated hiem with 16mm x 1.5 pitch. You could also forgo the spacer and use a hiem like the ones in the ASR arms which has a 3/4 inch threaded stuc on it. You would put a nut on both sides and be good to go. All these parts would be off the shelf. Does any one know of a aftermarket supplier that makes a ball joint that fits the 16mm moto sleeve ?

wistech

#87 Post by wistech »

heres one with a 3/4 inch ASR hiem joint with a nut on each end.

wistech

#88 Post by wistech »

Im going to measure a couple of laeger arms tonight . My bro has some leagers and hopefully they will fit.

Happyboy

#89 Post by Happyboy »

So what is that bearing off of? I no speaky da lingo good. From what I read, you cut off the existing bearing holder. Tapped the sucker, and put on a new bearing holder. If this is correct then what type of bearing are you putting on there? ASR?

This is a really good idea. Way to go Wistech!

wistech

#90 Post by wistech »

I am in the process of finding the best fit for the cheapest price. Im sure you guys would rather have a sealed ball joint than the open Hiem type. The stainless steel hiems are big bucks. I think the cool part about this idea is that you could mod the arms yourself with a hacksaw and a drill right on the quad. And you could adjust the width and camber for you riding style.