moto a-arm bearings & seals

krazykurtk

moto a-arm bearings & seals

#1 Post by krazykurtk »

I just replaced all the bearings and seals in my moto a-arms. If anyone hasn't noticed, prices from ATK are:
Bearings $40.53 ea, Seals $3.83 ea, & retainer rings $0.53 ea.
Well you can save yourself a ton of money by heading down to your local bearing store and order from them.
Here is what you'll need (for MOTO a-arms):
(8) Bearings RBC (Roller Bearing Corp) #B8L ($11.50 ea)
(16) Seals (Manuf doesn't matter) 14x27x7 ($0.90 ea) you can get double lip seals if you tell them that is what you want.
(16) Retainer rings Spirolox #RR-87 or Smalley #WH87 ($0.53 ea)

Keep this in mind when buying any bearings or seals. If you have a size you can usually get them cheaper. Size can usually be optained from the part listings or stamped right in the bearing or seal.

I personally think the design of the a-arm bearings/mounting could have been better, but that's what we have to work with, unless you buy aftermarket of course. The retainer rings are a real treat digging them out with a pick. Also even with new bearings, the a-arms are kind of sloppy with just one bearing at each mounting bracket.
If you do plan on rebuilding them, pull out the seals and then wipe away all the grease so you can see the retainer rings. Dig out the retainer rings from each side of the bearing with a pick, and then find an appropriate sized socket to push on the outer race of the bearing. You should be able to push/pound out your old bearing with minimal hassle. When inserting new bearings, pay attention to the lube hole. Insert the bearing so the hole lines up with grease fitting.

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

great info krazy!:clap: :clap:

thunderwolf

#3 Post by thunderwolf »

Thanks for the info. A cheaper way to fix something is always better.

sillysspeed

#4 Post by sillysspeed »

great info!! I just picked up a set of moto arms so a rebuild might be soon. :usa

rosebridge

#5 Post by rosebridge »

Thanx for the info and your time:clap:

iceracer17

#6 Post by iceracer17 »

I got the 14x27x7 seals,they were too big.Had to get 14x24x7.