check your Crankshaft/Trans Cart bolts!!

cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Motoracer,
How did the welding work out?They were definitly on the right track.I wonder if we would have seen the 04's by now:(

Sandstorm

#22 Post by Sandstorm »

Vin #1225
Purchased 5-10-02
Cannibal
No stud kit
Haven't touched any bolts in update, visual inspect = Ok
Raced 4 mx race's
Extreme dune riding w/ lots of jumping rolleyes.gif :eek: biggrin.gif
No problems for me except can't get my re-useable oil filter to seal w/o dripping oil... sad.gif

dawzie

#23 Post by dawzie »

I talked to quadsource today, they have a vent kit in stock.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

I am assembling a motor this fri with the stage 8 kit(tabs) if all goes well a kit will be ready for sale within a week or two.Here is a picture of what the stage8 looks like a stock cannondale bolt is on the right.They are very trick!

danyeo

#25 Post by danyeo »

1. Which bolts came loose on your machine (not your friends brothers cousin machine)? None yet.

2. Did you have the stud update kit installed? No

3. Have the cartdridge plates ever been removed and re-installed? No

4. Approximatly how many hours were on the machine? Only about 5 hours so for.

5. What is your VIN number? last 4 = 0893

6. If the bolts came loose and you re-installed them did you notice any loctite on the bolts? NA

7. Have you re-installed bolts only to have them come loose again?NA

8. What type of riding do you primarily do (racing, trail riding etc..)? Trail riding, hill climbs, jumps.

9. Which model do you have? 02 Cannibal.

I have asked a few people but i am worried about this Stud update. I have the motor mount update and will install that soon. I have a cable clutch and i called my dealer who called someone at Cannondale and said i really didn't need the stud update because i ahve a cable clutch. Any with cable clutches have any bolts coming loose? Should i just do the update to be safe?

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

I think what danyeo is refering to when he says that he has the cable clutch is that he has a cast case.I havent heard of any with this case coming loose yet just motors with the ssm case.If I owned a Dale with cast case I would still at least reloctite the stock bolts.
I am not so naive to think that someone doesnt know exactly what caused these problems.Someone does but they arent talking.The new crankplate with the extra hole at 2:00 confirms this for me.
So here are what I have heard causes bolts to come out:
Poor loctite job(not enough cure time,or lack of loctite)
Threads tapped to big
SSM case flexes too much
Toolbox torque at factory wasnt set right
unbalanced cranks
Torque steps werent done

I believe it is a combination of all these.Here is a picture of the new crankplate with a extra hole that has nothing behind it.

claas900

#27 Post by claas900 »

1. no bolts have come loose,03 speed.
2. Did you have the stud update kit installed? came with 4 of the 6 studs.
3. Have the cartdridge plates ever been removed and re-installed? No
4. Approximatly how many hours were on the machine? 30hours
5. What is your VIN number? last 4 = 0045
6. If the bolts came loose and you re-installed them did you notice any loctite on the bolts? All studs had red lock on them,some allen had some red,the rest had what looked like a blue/green lock on them.

7. Have you re-installed bolts only to have them come loose again?I redid all of them,got about 10 hours on it.Havent looked,but nothing was lose b4 so im not to worried about it.
8. What type of riding do you primarily do (racing, trail riding etc..)? Trail riding, hill climbs, jumps,tt and play very hard.

9. Which model do you have? 03 speed

Jaybr

#28 Post by Jaybr »

I have the old cast case and I just pulled my motor last week for a valve check. None of my bolts where loose, but I decided (with Nrath's persistence) to pull all the bolts and re-loctite with red #271. All of my bolts where tight, some tighter than others. There was a fair amount of inconsistency in the factory loctite on the bolts. Some had alot, others barely any. I did this mainly for peace of mind, and after Nrath did his and found that some of his bolts barely had any loctite.

DirtDragon

#29 Post by DirtDragon »

I need to know more details about the Tranny Bolts. I see many pictures in here but none that show me what bolts need to be checked. I had the clutch update kit installed according to my dealer who I do not trust. Do I have to pull the motor to check these bolts? Is there anything else needed like seals. Thanks!

NRath

#30 Post by NRath »

Dirtdragon-if your dealer said you have a clutch update kit, I wouldn't trust him either. Never heard of it- maybe his words were mixed up. Crankcase cartridge plate stud update is what this is all about. It has expanded to include the tranny plate , also. The only part you REALLY need is the sidecover gasket. What you do to the screws once it's loose is up to you. There are several ideas available now, take your pick. You can get the engine manual from C'dale's website or from Laptraffic on CD if you have a slow dial up connection. There are 16 screws total to check. The engine manual will give you all the details required to work on this. Look up tranny and crankcase cartridge plates and you'll see the screws that have to be messed with.