Yfz 450

thomez

#1 Post by thomez »

Read here

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

I got to ride one that a guy in my local OHV club bought for a few mins not too long ago. Overall it'll beat a stock Cannibal sadly enough. He had the cam mod, opened airbox, and pipe mods but rest was stock. The place it wins is the front shocks stock vs a Cannibal but the rear was a different story. Not too bad of a quad but I can't stand it. THe placement of the controls, bars, seat, etc are just off, atleast for me they are.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

With aftermarket suspension and axle,arms,pipe,cammod,jetting,lid off tires and rim,bars,nerfbars,tether the YFZ is a better MX quad.But only MX.

Buddah77

#4 Post by Buddah77 »

Being a former Dale owner and now a YFZ owner, here are my thoughts. Ther rear suspension is definitely better on the Dale. I personally haven't rode a quad with better rear suspension than a Dale. The YFZ isn't bad, but doesn't track through the whoops as well. The front end is a different story. My YFZ is great for stock, no comparison here. I installed a Houser long travel front end on my Dale with TCS shocks and it compares quite well with the YFZ. Just not as plush over the small stuff.

The biggest difference to me is the way they jump. The Yamaha feels 40 lbs. lighter to me. The midsection is narrow and it is the best jumping quad I've ever ridden. They both corner good, but I give a slight edge to the YFZ. As for a power comparison, the YFZ has more everywhere except the bottom end. A pipe will take care of that. See Sandgods comments with his Southbay 450.

Just my thoughts.

AlaskaSpeed

#5 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

I have to agreee with Buddah on this one. I never would have thought I could be content with another quad after owning a modded Speed for 2 years...but the YFZ450 is for real.......JIM

AlaskaSpeed

#6 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

pretty honest review. I had no bad things to say about my Dale, it was just time to sell it. I had someone interested in it and it had served me for 2 years of racing.....I am hoping the YFZ does the same.......JIM

haydug

I finally rode the new Yami!

#7 Post by haydug »

OK, here goes my .02 on this.
Stock vs stock, I honestly believe the dale a little better.
I just spent a day on a yfz, rode it for a little while stock, then put HMF, jet kit, airbox mods, LSR axle, Houser +2 LT and TCS shocks.

The stock handling on the yamaha is Quick! Steer's with little effort. Shocks felt pretty firm and didn't notice any diving in the corners. Power wise, I was left un-impressed. I must say I was expecting more after all the hype on the forums.
The modded machine handles way better, and ran some-what better. The cam gear must make a huge difference. My Cannondale is running HMF exhaust with blaze map and I can honestly still pull this bike. I have also passed a couple of Yamaha's in the mx section's of the last 2 GNCC's I have ran. I did like the way the Yamaha felt as far as being light and skinny. It did feel a little small in the rider section, but nothing a +1 stem wouldn't cure. I am planning on buying a Yamaha now and build it for resale. If I didn't already have the Cannondle, I would probably keep the Yamaha.
As far as someone wanting a problem free machine to jump on and go ride, the Yamaha would probably be a better choice, but they have not been out long enough for reliability reports yet. As far as that goes, some people can tear up anything. I thing once you do a few updates on the cannondale, they are pretty trouble free, but regular maitenence is critical.

The yamaha is a good, (great) bike, and I am not putting them down by any means. I wish that the cannondale was a little thinner like the yamaha. The throttle response of the dale is unmatched in my opinion. I have also always favored the blaze map for some reason. I can't wait to compare a fully modded FDO ported Yamaha vs my fully modded FDO (or SBM) Cannondale. I will keep you posted.

Sandstorm

#8 Post by Sandstorm »

I will to Haydug as soon as I'm up and running. The cam mod makes a noticeable difference.. My brother did one mod at a time so he could see what the difference was.. He was clocked at 27mph up Choke Cherry Hill at Saint Anthonys w/ the peashooter out and lid off. This is when the YFZ's were on there 4th day of realease and nobody knew of the cam mod and pipes weren't out yet. I was clocked at 22mph w/ stock motor and Graydon slip on w/ Moto map.. 5mph is a pretty big difference on this hill.. www.dunereview.com in the Idaho section..

CTyfz450

#9 Post by CTyfz450 »

I love my baby

Rookiex

#10 Post by Rookiex »

Haydug is a good racer, I take his word an so is alaska ive talked to him he says its close too.I do think the YFZ is better on the track an depending on what you do to both of them, im sure they will be very close on the track.But when it all comes down to it with close machines... its the

RIDER....