Big Bore Rice Rocket

chigger81

Big Bore Rice Rocket

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Since Im moving up to a timbo fx450, my best ridin buddy and I are thinking about giving his 99 400ex a little more kick with our extra time over the summer. Hes got a pipe, jets and filter (like everyone else) and he's had no problems with the motor so far. Its one of the cleaner-looking 99s Ive seen. I think I can probably pull off some of the motor kits out there pretty easy so thats what we're considering. I was just wondering what you guys think is the best motor setup for reliable trail and track riding with a couple races a year. Would you honda guys go with 416 or 440? How much more power can you feel between the two, and what kinda wear are they putting on the low end? We have a list of parts - bigbore, cams, rev box and such that total about 500 bucks and it seems like a pretty good way to make a quick quad. Any comments are welcome!

JST

#2 Post by JST »

Off the subject,Please let me know about the FX450.I also have a FX in need of a freshening up.thanks.

chigger81

#3 Post by chigger81 »

The motor should be very similar to the one on phycosis's cdale. timbo stroker crank, atk piston and sleeve, low end bearing updates, stage 8... Only thing really different is that I am gonna try running the 500 computer on it for a while and I might not have mine dialed in as good, but Im thinkin it will still rip more than anything Ive been on. biggrin.gif I will make sure to put up a big post about it once Im through with break in. Probably a few more weeks and I will have it all back together.

cdalemx301

#4 Post by cdalemx301 »

I raced with a kid last year who had two motors for his bike one had a 416 and one had a 440 in it he said he was gettin more/smoother power out of the 416 and didn't like the 440.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Doesnt seem to be too much difference powerwise between 416 and 440.Biggest trouble with 400 is when reved the cam chain ang uides wear out really fast.Get the upgraded timing chain they offer for it.And really watch the oil changing it alot.

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

split the difference and go with a 426. lil jbr's is an awesome all around machine. it's not an arm wrenching tire smoker, just real smooth, it hooks up and goes

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Do the 426 stroker. They are really nice and rev really quick. If you don't do that....go with the 416.

twisted

#8 Post by twisted »

Like they said, 416. 426... Both have some nice power and are real smooth. 440's seem to be over-rated and take away alot of "reliability".