The build

haydug

#21 Post by haydug »

Hey sand, not sure how far Dave is from you, but you should stop by and check out that cylinder before it gets bolted on, he said it was sweet.

Sandstorm

#22 Post by Sandstorm »

DAB is 30 miles from me.. I just wish he was on the way to the dunes and not in the opposite direction..

haydug

#23 Post by haydug »

Got the front-end installed, and oil tank, and radiator. Now I just need some POWER!!

haydug

#24 Post by haydug »

Front end installed

CptHook

#25 Post by CptHook »

Need to get some nerfs on that bad puppy, then she'd look pretty mint.

haydug

#26 Post by haydug »

smile.gif

Sandstorm

#27 Post by Sandstorm »

When is the motor due back??

PeeWee

#28 Post by PeeWee »

Doug.. i would suggest going to the D.I.D. 4/5 timing chain. With the Hot Cams you get an increase of about 35% in rotating weight...that extra weight seems to wreak havoc on the stock Zuki chain and cause premature failure. There are a huge amount of z400central members that have run into the that situation with Hot Cams and the stock chain. PM NormalZ and he will be able to fill you in on what i'm talkin about...Clone..if you see this maybe you could lend me a helping hand!!smile.gif

Derno24

#29 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by PeeWee
Doug.. i would suggest going to the D.I.D. 4/5 timing chain. With the Hot Cams you get an increase of about 35% in rotating weight...that extra weight seems to wreak havoc on the stock Zuki chain and cause premature failure. There are a huge amount of z400central members that have run into the that situation with Hot Cams and the stock chain. PM NormalZ and he will be able to fill you in on what i'm talkin about...Clone..if you see this maybe you could lend me a helping hand!!smile.gif

I can't say I agree. I ran for over a year the stock chain with hot cams and had no issue. Where I have seen problems is people not keeping an eye on chain tension. I have walked up to peoples z's before listening to the timing chain just slap away. I know on the older heads there was a problem with the depth of the chain tensioner. I myself switched 3 chains, 2 with stock cams and 1 with Hot Cams. I switched to the 455 max power kit and never had to mess with it. After the switch I put 40 hrs or so on it. 10 1/2 at last years 12 hr race. I would say if it held up to that I think it would be fine. It probably is still running fine, but I wouldn't know as it was stolen.

PeeWee

#30 Post by PeeWee »

That makes alot of sense Derno. I done some searching over at zcentral and did notice no one talked about adjusting the tension.
My nephews KFX is makin the dreaded chain slap noise and i know 100% the adjuster has never been touched. Alot of the members posts about the timing chain had the Hot Cams included so they seemed to blame it on the weight of the cams and then i decided to weigh a set of stockers versus the HCams and they are significantly heavier. I figured and assumed the added weight would be harder on the cams because of the ramp speeds of the cam lobes and such. Oh well....that's what i get for thinking!!