KFX450R Frame Problems

Psychosis

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Well, either I got a lemon or the frame's aren't as strong as they claim. Rolled one going maybe 15mph in a slow corner and the frame is wasted on the front end.

Rolled it over once and back on it's tires. The steering stem bottom mounts around the frame were pushed sideways, cracked, and the welds look super stressed. Looks like a lot of sideways/downward force from the steering stem but it was not bent. The front rails also have been stressed and are bent slightly as well as the bumper mounts being overstressed and in bad shape.

That is not right and Kawasaki has been in talk w/me today and we are trying to solve the situation in my case right now. Funny b/c they told me that it would be stronger than a Dale frame. laugh.gif Well I've wrecked my Dales more times than I can count, countless rolls, cased jumps, etc, and NO FRAME BENDS! I roll a KFX going supers low once and the thing is wasted. It also does not appear to be an isolated case.

So that's my new update as I said I'd give on the 450.

GDITheman

#2 Post by GDITheman »

Seriously, we need pics.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

We definitely need some pics. Wow,I can't believe they could be that weak. Sorry to hear about that.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow.Sure looked strong.They must not have the heat treating process right like Cannondale did with thier 3 step process.Good luck Psychosis.

Speaking of aluminum frame.Have you guys seen the CanAm frame?They did exactly like I thought.Aluminum frame like thier Utilities on bottom with Rev Pyramid on top.No weld all aluminum aircraft fastemers.Very high tech and very light.Not sure of durability there either though.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Thats not very good news at all. We need the japs to get into making performance oriented quads and aluminum frame problems might scare Honda and Yamaha when they decide to grow a pair and step into the 7 year old technology we have been spoiled with. But you can look at it this way . They dont have a very good track record with steel frames either.

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

I will be going back to the dealer on Monday w/a camera to check it out. I don't know how easy it will be to show the cracked part as it's underneath the stem mount and you can barely see it. The rest is VERY noticeable in the front.

According to what I've been hearing there's been quite a few coming forth w/the same problem. Seems to be where the steering stem plate is that if flipped they overstress and bend/crack. The rest of the frame looks nice and even it does, but not too strong there. I will get the final word back on it Monday I've been told, and will get pics.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Cannondales do have that issue also.Have seen two or three that the plate folded over after flipping.

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

I can believe that too but this one was going probably less than 15mph actually. I hit a 180 degree turn and it flipped coming out of the corner on a completely flat surfact. Over once and back on the tires. I can't see that causing a problem. Not to mention the front frame rails as bent a little as well.