100hp Raptor

cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

It's good to keep an eye on others. Not positive but it looks like it has a carb. Not sure what he means by 3 pjs?
http://moddedraptor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1778

Speed 1B

#2 Post by Speed 1B »

I believe that means power jets. I'm not sure how they work but I hear the big Banshees and 250rs talk about them.

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Speed 1B @ Aug 26 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that means power jets. Im not sure how they work but i hear the big banshees and 250rs talk about them.

Yes, power jets. The lectrons I had on my banshees had 2 power jets. Basically, you can't efficiently atomize huge amounts of fuel through the emulsion tube, so you break up the fuel through 3 different sources.

If you have never worked on a Lectron, there is no "main jet". The needle is not tapered to a point like other carbs are. Instead, its flat on the front side, creating a low pressure area in front of the needle that pulls fuel through the emulsion tube. There are over 100 different needles that have different angles on the flat part of the front. The top of the needle is also threaded instead of using a circlip like other needles. You turn the needle up or down to adjust fuel. They are VERY time consuming to tune, but make huge power when correctly tuned. For example, I went from Keihin 35PWKs to Lectron 36HVs (high velocity, the venturi is tapered down to 34mm) and went from 74 to 80HP.

Here is a picture of the needles:

Back to the PJ, the Lectron PJ is a tube with a flat bottom. As the air comes across it, fuel is pulled out and is "chopped" over the sharp edge of the tube causing it to atomize better. A factory installed PJ is right behind the slide, pointed downward. You can order them with or without the factory PJ, and can add more on if needed. Sometimes they are adjustable via a screw in the top or sometimes they are fixed and all your adjustment is all in the main needle.

Here is a picture of the factory fixed PJ:

2mike18

#4 Post by 2mike18 »

when I had my banshee a trinity racing 400 power valve motor I ran 35mm PJ's but in my case it was just they way the slide was designed. keihin has a few type of carbs PWK & PWK airstriker & flat slide like yfz & the PJ series. I must be way out of the loop though cause I dont imagine he is running 3 carbs.

BOY I TYPE SLOW I SEE THE ANSWER IS ABOVE....LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif

jinx44

#5 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (darkknight @ Aug 26 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when I had my banshee a trinity racing 400 power valve motor I ran 35mm PJ's but in my case it was just they way the slide was designed. keihin has a few type of carbs PWK & PWK airstriker & flat slide like yfz & the PJ series. I must be way out of the loop though cause I dont imagine he is running 3 carbs.
BOY I TYPE SLOW I SEE THE ANSWER IS ABOVE....LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif

Keihin PJ is just the style. I ran 34PJs originally on my TT banshee. The 34PJs are also the carb that came on 250Rs (even the water cooled ATC250R). wink.gif

desertbound

#6 Post by desertbound »

Morgan works for Racers Edge. They build really fast quads. I actually know Morgan. He is a really nice guy. He had a really fast stockbore trx that I had to tow back to camp once. tongue.gif We camp close to each other so I see him all the time actually.

He also has a xulw framed nitro crf that weighs around 220lbs and makes somewhere around 80hp/55tq. Talk about fast.

jinx44

#7 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Aug 26 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morgan works for Racers Edge.

Racers Edge tries some off the wall ideas, but they always seem to make good HP. I think they were one of the first to do the reverse cylinders/front mounted carbs on a banshee.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if this bike uses the early style 5 valve head, or the new style 4V?

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

stock 432 ported head 57hp= .132hp/cc
907cc raptor 99hp= .109hp/cc
505 custom dale 65hp=.129hp/cc

If they get the efficiency up there to match a dale they will be at 119.7hp yikes

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I used to run a lectron on my 409ex. Very simple carb. You could adjust without spilling fuel. I liked the clear float bowl to see where the adjustment was at. It worked very well but was a PITA to get at the choke button and running the cable straight out the top meant it hit the tank and mods were required to make it work smoothly.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Good info Jinx. I know alot of the pro racers ran Lectrons back in day. Never really took a good look at them. I wonder why he ditched the Fuel Injection?