2008 Polaris Outlaw 525

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

I picked up a 2008 Outlaw. It is interesting to say the least. I got the IRS model. The first thing I did was put three hours on it so I could get the first oil change done. It is actually a bigger pita than a cannondale to change the oil. Two filters to change, to screens to clean, and a drain plug. The drain plug and the bolts holding the screens in seemed almost welded into the case. I put some anti-seize on them when I re-installed them. The air filter on this is a joke. Basically, it is two foam layers over a cage, held on by a spring. Amazingly gay. I whittled the cage away and low and behold, a 250r filter fits right on it. I have lots of these because that is what fits on the cyclone. Now, for the aggravating part. I notice right away that the boot between the airbox and the carb is dry rotted pretty bad. Not a real big deal, less than $10, but still, its a new quad. Well, today I replaced that, and in the process I took the carb off and weird as it is, the boot between the carb and engine is dry rotted too. There is a bunch of white corrosion on the carb and where the carb mounts to the engine. I think this is just sad. So, I spend a little time cleaning this stuff off and cleaning the jets. It runs pretty lean so I figure I'd make sure the pilot jet was clean and drill the cover off of the fuel screw so I can adjust that. Well, I put it back together and took it for a test ride. So far so good, but I didn't give it much of a test because it was muddy and I was clean and wanted to stay that way. I don't know if it runs any better, but it doesn't run any worse. I consider it a victory. I'm not real impressed with the quality of this quad. I suppose it sat on the dealers lot for a long time, several months at least, maybe almost a year? But that corrosion really bothers me as well as the dry rot. Oh well. I don't even want to get started on the torx headed screws holding the body work on....... at least the irs is pretty sweet.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

And then people wonder why us Americans turn to the foreign makes!

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

My buddy has been racing his for a year and half and loves it. No major issues with either.

He said it was the fastest quad he's ever ridden.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

That is good to hear.

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

Update on the Polaris. Got a few more hours on it. Runs like A$$. I have to take it to some place that has a dyno and get this piece of **** jetted right. You would think polaris could do this before they sold it? NO, thats too much to expect.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Just curious why you bought that one, with all the makes and models on the market?

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

Independent rear suspension, I figured I'd try it for a season of xc racing and see how it went. I havent raced it yet and dont even have nerfs or a tether on it yet. The first race of the season is in April, so I have time yet.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

Ahh.... that makes sense.... Was the Honda out comparitively?

jacobw

#9 Post by jacobw »

I am looking at purchasing a 2009 outlaw mxr 450

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Dec 4 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh.... that makes sense.... Was the Honda out comparitively?

700xx?
Yes. Too ugly, too heavy, too honda. I just don't like that quad.