2008 Polaris Outlaw 525

UpsMan

#21 Post by UpsMan »

Mine is an 08 and still has that wierd steering thing. They got rid of it for 09.

ScramblerXLE

#22 Post by ScramblerXLE »

The problem with that whole thing is that the '06-'08 front end on the Outlaws was designed to eliminate bump steer. It was very effective at this. The only negative was increased steering effort from having the extra link in the front end. Still, the effort was lighter than the predator's version of PRO steering which had 2 links and 2 cams, so it was an improvement. Then when they went to the 2009-2010 set up they eliminated the link and changed where the steering post mounted, but did not change the A-Arm mount points, so you wind up with more bump steer then there should be because the front end was not designed as a conventional front end.

UpsMan

#23 Post by UpsMan »

One really cool thing about the outlaw, is that it makes my atk feel really small. When I ride them both on my track, my atk feels like a little toy.

UpsMan

#24 Post by UpsMan »

Just a little FYI, I can get atk/cannondale parts faster than I can get Polaris parts. Go figure.

ScramblerXLE

#25 Post by ScramblerXLE »

There are a few reasons I won't race a Polaris anymore... This is one of them...

cdaleman440

#26 Post by cdaleman440 »

How long are the rear bearings good for? My buddy has a 500 with the IRS and we have had to do them twice is like a year old. By the way the outlaw is by far the most complicated oil change I have come across. But nothing can match riding that thing in like a foot of snow just plowing around.

UpsMan

#27 Post by UpsMan »

I haven't had any problems with bearings yet.

ScramblerXLE

#28 Post by ScramblerXLE »

The 500 Fuji motor was not a complicated oil change at all. You drain the oil tank, drain the case, change filter and re-fill oil into the tank. The oil pump priming procedure is not necessary unless it sits for a long time with no oil in the case, and either way, that's as simple as pinching the breather line, letting it run for 5s and then letting go of the line.

ALSO: This works with predators, not sure about Outlaws, when refilling, just fill the oil tank up to the spout, then cap and start the quad. shut it off and check and on predators, the oil level is right where it should be.

I'm not sure which is more of a pain, the Cannondale or the KTM... They take about the same amount of time but you're doing more stuff with the KTM... There are 2 screens to clean after you've drained the case, then replace 2 filters, then re-fill.

Also, my rear bearings have been fine for over 120XC race hours, as have my friend's, but his only has 65-70 hours...

UpsMan

#29 Post by UpsMan »

Yeah, the ktm is a pain changing the oil for sure. Its a heck of a nice motor though. I'm considering getting a Polaris Outlaw 525S for racing. I don't like the IRS for racing. It is mighty nice for trail riding though.

UpsMan

#30 Post by UpsMan »

Adjusting the valves on this motor is so easy even I can do it. You just have to remove the front and side plastic and the fuel tank. You then have easy access to the top of the motor. From there, its maybe 10 minutes. Finding tdc actually took as long as the adjustment.