1988 Honda 250R vs Cannondale - Reliability?

thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

Opinions? Experiences? Always looking for my next broken quad, just wondering how the late model 250Rs hold up...

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Cost wise the 250r was cheaper to fix. Problem wise it broke alot more than my Cannondales. But my 250r's were modified. So stock I have heard they hold up quite well. But I know they are really down on power when compared to a stock Cannondale.

Head gaskets, Clutches, Tranny gears, cracked spindles, cracked frames, cracked swingarms were all reoccurring issues with the 2 250r's I owned.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 18 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cost wise the 250r was cheaper to fix.Problem wise it broke alot more than my Cannondales.But my 250r's were modified.So stock I have heard they hold up quite well.But I know they are really down on power when compared to a stock Cannondale.

Head gaskets,Clutches,Tranny gears,cracked spindles,cracked frames,cracked swingarms were all reoccurring issues with the 2 250r's I owned.

Ditto, plus cracked cylinder sleeves. I personally never had spindle problems but only raced 2 years.

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

Edited... somehow partially double posted!

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

Weakest part of them is the stock frames near the foot peg area on the left side. Almost every aftermarket frame maker made a frame for them but even they had some problems in severe use or racing but a gusseted stock frame is fine for recreational use.
Biggest down side I see with mine is that even with a desert tank it sucks gas about twice as fast as a dale. Barring the latest high dollar offerings it is probably the only quad to handle as good or better than a dale and they are about as light as can be. Most any one you find these days has a aftermarket suspension on it that can take it from good to great depending on the quality of the components.
I am thinking about selling it cause I hardly ever ride it. It was the backup for my dale but I have since gotten another dale as backup!
I would probably take 2k for it which is probably a third of what I have into it and it would come with sand and dirt wheels and tires, a mid range ct pipe and silencer, extra air filters, cdi box and a complete ready to bolt on spare ported cylinder and piston.
It has max ported 265 motor with a 38mm flat slide carb, Paul Turner race pipe and fat boy silencer, +2+1 arms with dale ohlins valved special from shock doc, high flight seat, desert tank, chrome extended adjustable axle, dg nerfs and front bumper, six pack rack and thick race mair plastic.

For dune riding this quad is my first choice for leading a fast and furious ride because I can match my line to where I am at into the pipe and what gear I am in. I can anticipate the quick turns and transitions and be sure to gear down before hand. Following on this is a hand full at any speed with alot of shifting and getting caught in the wrong gear where a four storke just torques you thru those situations.
Ray

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Nice R! I will say in the air my R was the most comfortable. Woods it was awesome also with the stock pipe and slip on on it. Really made it easy to ride. Think about it many of the trials bikes are based on this motor. It can be made to feel electric. My second R was a full blown Trinity 265 motor. 250 psi cranking pressure. My stock Cannibal was faster.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

I read somewhere they are getting them to 300+CCs, up to 500?

Wow... Lots of breaking parts I see. My first quad ever was a Dale, so I guess I am somewhat spoiled. I am forever on the hunt for something more reliable that can go fast too. The 250Rs have always appealed to me, because they are a great MX quad, and superlight. The sad thing is they would probably not be a large dunes quad for me, since a lot of the hills need the power of at least a stock Dale, and even that gets a bit slow sometimes (while traveling up).

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

250 psi cranking pressure? I read that anything past about 180 hurts more than it helps because it starts using up more power than it gains on the compression stroke and the octane required gets out of hand. Did you walk in left circles with one leg bigger than the other for a while! Might explain problems with head gaskets too.
As far as which is faster it is kind of apples to oranges at least the way mine is set up, never rode one stock. In an all out drag race with a stock or mildly modded dale this r wins as long as you hit all the shifts perfect, one mistake and the dale gets it. This r motor is low torque and all hp and the dale has both.

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

Yea, but you gotta love that ding ding!

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Oct 18 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
250 psi cranking pressure? I read that anything past about 180 hurts more than it helps because it starts using up more power than it gains on the compression stroke and the octane required gets out of hand. Did you walk in left circles with one leg bigger than the other for a while! Might explain problems with head gaskets too.
As far as which is faster it is kind of apples to oranges at least the way mine is set up, never rode one stock. In an all out drag race with a stock or mildly modded dale this r wins as long as you hit all the shifts perfect, one mistake and the dale gets it. This r motor is low torque and all hp and the dale has both.

Yes I am pretty sure thats what it was. It used a RM 250 piston also. Even my Duncan motor which was lower compression blew head gaskets.