1988 Honda 250R vs Cannondale - Reliability?

desertbound

#21 Post by desertbound »

I was never comfortable on a banshee. I just never liked them I guess. All of my friends who have had them have always burned up pistons. Or one cylinder would lose compression all the time. They are fast though.

2 strokes are fun but I prefer the 4 strokes to haul my big butt around these days. I can putt around in 2nd gear and not have to worry about the jerkiness of going in and out of the powerband.

I do wish my R was still around for the occasional ride though. I don't think you can go wrong with owning one. They are still fun. Atleast the motors are a piece of cake to work on. I guess it all depends on what you are gonna do. I don't think they would survive in todays racing world. Thats why all the pro's switched to hybrids all those years ago.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

My Raptor is awesome in the sand.Handles and rides great and plenty of power.I take it on a fast trail or MX and it is the worst thing I have ever ridden.Reality is there is no perfect quad.

desertbound

#23 Post by desertbound »

Exactly. Raptors are fun in the sand. Especially when they are stretched out and built.

thedeatons

#24 Post by thedeatons »

Banshees suck cuz they can't turn, and they are heavy, and they have two carbs that are difficult to get to, so rejetting also sucks. I DON"T DRAG RACE, and really have no interest to ever start. I want an MX quad for the sand. The best I can see that either leaves the Dale or the 250R. I wouldn't get another 4 stroke other than the Dale, because what's the point, if I already have one of those. The newer quads cost too much for me. The 250R is simple, nimble, and I can rebuild the top end WITH THE ENGINE IN THE FRAME! Imagine that...

I'm only thinking about this because the 250R is a little simpler for me. I can do the Dale no problem, just get tired of doing it all the time. If I could go three sand seasons without a rebuild on an ESR330, I might be in...

We ride MX style, we just do it in the sand, so that is why I need nimble. The lack of battery, starter weight, and computer weight of the 250R sounds nice. A lot of the ESR330s I am seeing are dynoing out at just below 50hp at the rear wheels, which is perfect for me. We really like our stock Glamis, with just a Boomer setup and a pipe, rated at 45hp. So, power is not a problem. Now I'm just wondering about the reliability comparisons....

Dachshund

#25 Post by Dachshund »

I say go ahead and get one James. You will probably love it, in a different way than the Dale. I love mine but really never ride it anymore because, as already mentioned the 4 stroke is easier to go fast for us old farts. Plus I'm still in the honeymoon faze with the Dales. I'll probably get the itch to do something with the R again. After all my first ATV was an 85 ATC250R. Guess what my second was?.......An 86 ATC250R. I rode the snot out of my 85. It was weird having an extra wheel up front when I first got my TRX. HAHA.

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

I am curious, and it would nearly be a straight trade for our Moto/Glamis. There are still a few things to work out though. I am against running race gas, because of cost/convenience. That is a factor. I would need to find one that is finished my way, or nearly so, otherwise it would cost me a fortune.

That has been nice with the Dales, I called Brad and said "I need my Glamis to be a Moto", and he sent the parts to me. Done. With the 250R there is no recipe that I know of yet. Not sure how to go about that. I have learned from experience to only use good quality suspension parts, like Houser, etc...

Lots of homework left to do. This wouldn't be a "get a 250R as a spare", this would be sell the Dale and grab a 250R....

desertbound

#27 Post by desertbound »

It would have to be a very nice R to trade for the dale straight up. Unless you are having reliability issues with the glamis.

kdeal

#28 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 20 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was just riding sand I would buy a Banshee.Why mess around?

I agree (FOR SAND ONLY). Steve, I think the Banshee ergos have spoiled us both. Most people actually like the 250R ergos better than anything out there. I owned Banshees since day one (1986) and I was never comfortable on a 250R. I have to say that to this day, no other bike has ever felt as good coming down from a jump like the 250R. Not even a very expensively shocked Banshee compared. I think the 250R will always have a place in every racer's list of great race bikes. As so much as a great sand duner, if you haven't rode a built Banshee thru the dunes, you have never rode the ultimate sand machine (2-stroke). I had everything from piped Banshees all the way up and thru 100HP plus monsters. There is not another bike that sounds as great as Banshee on the pipe. But, like Steve, I gave my Banshees up and I am very contented with my Dale.

I just changed the pipe on my rebuilt Dale that I got only 53.5 HP on at the Ride and for the first time took a drag run (on the asphault with Hoosiers) behind the house. The pipe I had on it was choking the power off a lot. I put the old Ti pipe back on it and I am dieing to redyno it. I think it will show a few more ponies. I think I have just found the most linear motor I have ever had! This thing pulls without any glitches.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Deatons a 250r will not make any power worth talking about without high compression. That means race gas. A stock 250r puts out around 30hp if your lucky. My Banshee had a single air striker carb on it. Very easy to tune. Actually had some lowend power also. Original crank lasted 1 year. I bought a brandnew one (cheap)had it trued and welded and ran that combo for 5 years. 1 ring job. Only issue I had with Banshee was I constantly grooved out the clutch basket (Hinson) once I MXed it the frame cracked. Banshees are awesome in the whoops because of thier longer length. I have awesome valving specs for rear shock. Fronts will need replacing. No need to go wide.

UpsMan

#30 Post by UpsMan »

You guys have me wanting a banshee. I agree they are the coolest sounding motor.