1988 Honda 250R vs Cannondale - Reliability?

cannondale27

#41 Post by cannondale27 »

If you can hook up a Banshee they are at top of the food chain for wide open running at least.Lot of guys gave me crap for using the single carb setup but it worked very well.Mine had Koffman pipes.

MX Quad Dad

#42 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Kinda think Bamshee's don't like hooking up. I swear when my son ran the "B" class, he usually won by quite a distance (once at Red Bud the last half a lap with a flat.) Any way a lot of time the other competitors would stop by the pits, and the first question they would ask him was "how much do you weigh" then ask why a Banshee.

As someone else mentioned here, there is a lot of wheel spin to make them go, and we heard about it from a lot of riders that spent any time behind him.

27, what kind of manifold did you have? Ours actually worked great with the stock pipes, but he was having problems with a four stroke with a loud pipe, on some of the straights, when I was watching some of the videos, I noticed (by watching the roost) he wasn't shifting soon enough. I asked him about it and he said he couldn't hear his quad. and even though the Toomeys aren't that loud it was enough to cure that problem.

and like someone else said, the gas. On a race weekend it was about 6 gallons. I would have loved to put an odometer on it to see how many miles he put on it for every mile actually raced.

oh yeah, we ran it 50:1 with the only oil company that said the would guarantee their oil at that ratio.

cannondale27

#43 Post by cannondale27 »

I had Trinity manifold. ProDesign head. What oil company guaranteed that? I always just ran Amsoil at 20:1 since I never fouled plugs anyhow.

MX Quad Dad

#44 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I called every major 2 stroke oil company I could think of, because the Yamalube at 40:1 smoked so bad and left a residue at the tail pipe. Yamaha said 40:1 with Yamalube or 32:1 with anything else. I asked all the major brands that I could get a phone number to, if I could run their oil 50:1. They all said yes. When I asked if they would guarantee it they said I would have to mix it according to the manufacture's specs.

This was a new quad and I didn't want to fry it. I had almost given up, then I remembered talking to a Amsoil dealer at an expo in Vegas, I dug up the info (I save all that junk) and gave them a call. They said they would stand behind thier oil at 50:1 no matter what Yamaha says. And at the amount of fuel we burned in that thing, the money we saved on 2 stroke oil, more than paid the annual fee to be a dealer.

cannondale27

#45 Post by cannondale27 »

Ever try thier 100:1 oil? It came in a real small bottle. Maybe a pint. I always carried one trailriding in case I needed gas and no oil. I believe I did end up running a tank of it and it survived.

thedeatons

#46 Post by thedeatons »

Hey guys.... yer stealing my post! LOL

cannondale27

#47 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Too bad! You don't rate when your talking about dumping your Cannondale.

thedeatons

#48 Post by thedeatons »

Hey, I'm just examining all my options... smile.gif

My Glamis handled great this weekend with no hiccups. Took out a similarly modded YFZ from the bottom of the Superbowl to the top. He couldn't get outta first, I was in the top of second. Cdsracer's wife left us all, she was in 4th pulling away quickly.

cannondale27

#49 Post by cannondale27 »

I hear you. Just giving you a hard time. Sometimes a little break is a good thing. Just don't make mistake of selling and then having to get back in. Costs way too much time and $. Just change fluids and put a sheet over it for a bit while your going on your 250R escapade.

MX Quad Dad

#50 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Sorry for hijacking your thread. its just that the Banshee talk brings back memories

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 25 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever try thier 100:1 oil?It came in a real small bottle.Maybe a pint.I always carried one trailriding in case I needed gas and no oil.I believe I did end up running a tank of it and it survived.

Amsoil said they didn't recomend it for any type of race conditions. But did say under light and maybe medium loads it would work and I believe they said something about carrying a bottle like you said.
How do you think that would work; telling a 14 year old he has to accelerate slowly? wacko.gif