750 Ninja

MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

My son just took a 750 Ninja for a partial trade on a pick-up. this guy was at least the second owner and didn't seem to know much about bikes. He had no manuals. he had a real hard time getting it firedup. but he did have a stack of reciepts for work that had been done. We don't want to do much to it, just clean it up maybe fresh plugs. I am figureing the engine and tranny oil are together. is that correct? Next is, on the right side there is something like a hose with a knob hanging by the clutch cover. is that an idle adjustment?

In the stack of reciepts there are two for rebuilding the front forks. it only shows 14000 miles on the odometer. are these forks a problem?

Anything else you can tell me about these things would be apresheated. it has been laid down also but seems to be just minor cosmetic damage.

OH yeah, for oil level do you just check with level bike half way on the sight glass?????

67z400

#2 Post by 67z400 »

I'm no ninja expert, but I do have a 2000 YZF 600R. The engine & tranny oil should be the same. On my bike on the right hand side above the clutch cover is the idle adjustment screw (small black knob). Sight glass is perfect way to inspect the oil level.

You should be able to do a thing called a carb sync. which will sync. up all of the carbs. through four vaccum hoses assuming that there are four. I ran a bottle of sea foam through mine and that really smoothed her out. Granted I have about 24K miles on mine.

Since it has been laid down once be sure to go over the entire bike to ensure it has nothing fishy going on (loose wires, wrong wire connections, steering, drivetrain, controls, etc.)

Good luck! Be safe!

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Thanks. Its been a while since I have delt with the traditional Jap four stroke bike. I don't think there is anything major wrong with it and he has it up for sale, so we realy don't plan on riding it (much). I just don't want to tell the person who buys it anythig that might end up costing him a bunch of money.

yep, I did take it for a ride. rran it up through the gears and thought, this thing is quick. turned around to head back. I have no ideal what RPM I was running but, took it up to about 1/2 throttle then cracked the throttle open and found a new definition of "quick" and this is only a 750.

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

What year is it? I had a 1996...

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I believe its a 1993. the guy we got it from only owned it for a few months, he wasn't a biker IMO.

I know this isn't anywhere near the fastest production bike, but it is the first sport bike I have ridden in fact it has been many years since I have even been on a street bike. Its just that this one little ride has given me a whole lot more respect for the people who race these things.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

1993 should have a single ram air duct in the front. What is the color scheme?

Is it piped/jetted?

If you really want those to scoot gear it up two teeth in the rear. They have a lot of top speed, which isn't always needed depending on where you live. Adding two teeth will get you better wheelies.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

its the candy apple red.

it does have a aftermarket pipe, not sure on the jetting

I won't be changing any gearing. technicaly, my son owns it and after one little ride I think we would be best off if we (I) stay off that thing. After a few rides my insurance would probubly tripple LOL.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

Candy Persimmon Red actually.... LOL

Does it have th one single ram air duct in the front with twin round headlights?

Those are nice bikes. Now they are cheap enough too. Top speed should be about ~157-ish!

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Yes, single ram air duct and twin round headlights

don't like the "cheap enough" But, bikes here in MI are toys IMO and used toys are cheap now. in MI anyway.