97 Tacoma problem

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

I've got a nagging problem, I know a couple of you are mechanics and maybe you'll have a suggestion.

I've got a 97 Tacoma, 4 cyl, FI, auto. I have no idea why I bought the auto, but I did. Anyway, it seems that sometimes the throttle pedal will stick when it's idling like at a stop light or something. I've checked all the cables up to the throtte body and the cruise control cable, all are free as can be. Went ahead and lubed them for the heck of it. The butterfly in the throttle body seems to move from zero without sticking as well. I'm thinking it's a vacuum issue. Like lack of pressure regulation. When it sits idling, pressure builds up, then takes some extra force to get the butterfly openend up. It's a real pain in the arse, cause after I blip the throttle, of course it slings gravel in the in-laws driveway. Then I get in something else and I'm always hard on the throttle trying to overcome the stiction and there's not any, so it's off like a rocket. Something possibly related to the vaccum theory is that it seems like it shifts way too early. The little motor has got some decent power if it'll rev a little, but the tranny will be in D or OD by the time I'm at about 25mph. And it doesn't downshift worth a crap. I've got to pretty much hit the floor before it'll downshift. So, on an on ramp, i'll hit the OD button to kick it out manually to save gas by not having to hit the floor to get it to shift. My 94 Camry tranny was soooo much better! It would pop in and out of gears like it knew exactly what I wanted. It seemed very intuitive, but it had an electronically controlled trans, I think. If the Taco shifted as well as the Camry did, which I was expecting when I bought it, I'd be happy with it. Those 2 issues combined make me think it's a vacuum issue, am I off base here? Any suggestions for checking? I'm figuring I could use my Mity Vac gauge to check.

It did have some front end damage in a supposed fender bender before I got it. Supposedly just a bumper and grill. It's possible something got screwed up then and no one noticed.

I'm hoping you guys might be able to save me some time before I dig into it.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Pull off the airbox cover and look under it.There is a flap in there for the mass airflow sensor.If it sticks at all it will do as you described.Take note also that Toyota is under a lot of heat right now for sticking throttles.Some say its floormat and some say no its not.I know my Tundras and Camry both are in recall.So I would say you could have some clout if you take it in.That is if you have a good dealership.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

I heard about their floormat problem. Mine won't be hitting the dealership, though, not about to give them a dime, they're too hard to come by!

ltdyfz450

#4 Post by ltdyfz450 »

Didnt know if you knew but toyota recalled all those trucks for bad frames. They were doing a buy back at one and a half times of the blue book. I know a handfull of people that got there truck bought back and made out like bandits. Give toyota a call they know more about it than i do. Good luck