Motorhomes

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

I'm looking for a motor home to go to the races in, with my wife and two dogs. We'll probably be pulling only a 6x12 trailer, sometimes a 8.5x14. Anybody have any experience or advice they'd like to share on the subject, I'm all ears. I have never owned a motorhome, so I don't really know what would work the best. What is the best time to buy? Probably fall?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Talk to Kdeal in Florida. Alot of retired people travel and then park thier motorhomes down there or Arizona. And get a Diesel preferably a older diesel before all the crazy unreliable emissions hardware was added.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

About what were you looking to spend? Alot of great deals out there with people dumping them left and right over the economy, so you should hold out for exactly the right deal on what really feels right. My best advice to you is to get one size bigger than what you are thinking and this may save you a costly move up as this is what most people end up doing.

As a starter most people go with a twenty something class c which has the van front and usually a bed overhead. One of these might serve you well but there are some down sides to them as opposed to the larger class a for extended dry camping. Generally the class c will have alot less storage area, smaller holding tanks all the way around and less towing capacity. All of that may not make a difference in the way you plan to use it tho. I would prefer an a to a c for my use with lengths being equal but that is just me.

Personally I favor the gm gas powered over the ford for best low end torque and gas mielage but I am not a ford guy. Look over the tires real well on something much more than five years old cause they can get costly and cause problems even tho they have plenty of tread. I would look for something that has at least been under cover or garage kept as it would be at least alot less weathered. I would look to something that has a modest amount of miles but unusally low miles can be problematic also. I would look for something private sale from a tinkerer type of person that keeps thier stuff up and has added alot of cool usefull gadgets and bells and wistles. You can spot these by additions such as solar panels, banks power pack kits and handling modifications and such you can find some real gems this way.

Good luck dont be afraid to ask questions there is alot to learn about those things.
Ray

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

I am hoping to stay under $20,000. I like the class C's, but they seem like they are more expensive than a similar size class A. I don't think I would mind driving a class A. The only thing I am concerned about is some of the parking at some races can be tight. I'm thinking 30 to 34 feet would be the max. I would love a diesel, but I don't think I can get one with the budget I want to stay in. I've seen some cheap older diesels, but I hate to go too old. At what age do motorhomes start to have more issues with the plumbing and things?

cdsracer

#5 Post by cdsracer »

My wife and I started a rental business a few years ago...we rent diesels, gassers, class A's and C's. My recommendation for overall reliability and build quality is a turbo diesel, preferably a Fleetwood product. I like the Cummins engines, great on fuel and power. If you go with a Class C, the Tiogas with the Ford motors are pretty good.

If you go with a Class A, I would definitely recommend staying away from anything with a 454 or 460 in it. The newer Vortec motors and the Ford V10's are nice although mileage is not so great.

Check out Texas and Florida for good deals. Also, copart.com and crankyape.com.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

Very good info. Thank you. I was definately hoping to get something new enough that it wouldn't have a 460 or 454.

sjstar

#7 Post by sjstar »

any reason you wouldnt get a toyhauler. For $20,000 you could have a dodge diesel and a nice toyhauler. I got $14,000 in my setup, 25foot toyhauler and a dodge diesel.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

I have considered it.

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I perfer the class A
Motor homes are nice compared to the toy hauler. that is if you can afford them. Toy hauler setup gives you another usefull vehical for dayly stuff.

can't beat the motor home for going any distance. we have cooked cleaned and swapped drivers on the go.

One thing I have noticed a smaller engine has never given me better milage (maybe on a small motor home). another would be a bigger trailer never afected milage much.

Before you pull a trailor check the hitch and frame. You wouldn't belive how lite some are and the chassie frame stops way short of the coach frame on a lot of them.