Paddle tire question

Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I have ITP sandstars front and rear for my dale and they seem to do well. My question is about my Outlaw 500. I am in the market for rears for the sand. The outlaw is pretty heavy on the rear with the IRS. They don't seem to want to climb as easy because of it. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what sand tire will most make up for the shortcomings of the outlaw climbing out of holes. I just picked up some front 22-8-10 GBC dune trackers for the front. They were only $40 so I could not pass on that deal. They are 1" taller and 1" wider than stock so I was thinking of lowering the front ride height a bit to keep it from coming up so easy on the front with the taller wider tires I think it should work out well.

cannondalemaine

#2 Post by cannondalemaine »

I had kenda geckos on my cannondale, nice for sidehills and general use but they wouldnt give me the launch out of the hole when drag racing. I asked here and most people was saying get skat trak haulers. I bought a set of 22-11-8 double buffed haulers on .125 rims, these tires weight only 12.5 lbs with rims. I havent tried them yet but im sure they will perform alot better being half the weight as the others. Got them off ebay for i believe 200 with rims.

Kuma

#3 Post by Kuma »

If you want to go straight then I think haulers, there are taller haulers too, if you want to slide your turns then get edges on 10" wheels, for having fun out in the dunes I havn't found anything that handles as well as the edge, these are the original V shape paddle, many have copied but none compare. my $.02

sjstar

#4 Post by sjstar »

get some bead locks stick with the sand stars lower the air pressure.

Reeve

#5 Post by Reeve »

I don't want to spend the money on bead locks. I am going to buy a set of take off 9" wheels for the outlaw and mount the paddles on them. This outlaw is my GFs ride and she won't be doing much sliding. I will put some rides on it when I have my dale down for updates too. My friend has an outlaw 500 and I think he runs sand stars but it has problems climbing where the lighter quads don't. I just want to get every bit of climbing out of holes traction I can to make up for the weight. I was thinking about a 21" rear tire. I can't imagine a larger tire won't help. I think a lower gear sprocket is in order anyway. The kenda Geckos are the only tires that come in a 21-11-9 that I can find and I can get two for $107 The 20-11-9 Sand Stars will be $135 . I just don't know about the Haulers they seem to be out of my price range for what I want to spend right now. Should I be looking at a 22" tire? This is not going to be used for any drag races just general use and some hill climbs.

1ORMOTO

#6 Post by 1ORMOTO »

I have some 22-11-10 formed paddles, the are designed for drag racing. I would let them go for 75 plus shipping. they are brand new never mounted. If you go another route I would recommend going wide to keep from burying yourself in soft sand. Robert

Reeve

#7 Post by Reeve »

That sounds like a good deal but I just bought two almost new Kenda dune runners in a 22-11-9 size. They are molded straight paddles. They cost me $70 plus $30 shipping. I have not heard much about them anybody have any experience with them? I needed to stick with the 9" wheel because Aluminum Douglas take off stock wheels are way cheaper than going with new wheels because they are such an odd ball offset. I was able to get a set of take off wheels with good dirt tires on them for just over $100. The tires are coming off because my rear dirt tires are in good condition and my friend needs a set for his outlaw so it's a win win. I owe him a favor after he let my girlfriend ride his outlaw for a weekend ad the dunes.