Wifes new Scrambler

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

She wanted something to run in the utility class in the local hs series.
She picked this over the Renegade 500 mostly because of a $3000 price difference.

[attachment=10070:0327001333.jpg]

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

I have ridden one awhile back,fairly quick,handled well but it felt real tall.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

It is definately taller than a cannondale for sure. Funny thing, I was reading the owners manual and they recommend changing the oil every 100 hours. Same as valve adjustments.

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I bought one the first year they came out. of coarse they only made the two stroke the first year and I have been planning on updateing it and it will be the four stroke. I realy like the quad but, it is the wife's since I've got my Speed. She loves the thing and keeps saying she can't see any reason to update it.

One thing to watch on them. I like power sliding and was doing a long sweeper that I had done many times before, but, one time I didn't notice I had it in four wheel drive. with the front hubs only locking when the rears are spinning, while doing a powerslide you can actualy get pretty well into the slide before the fronts kick in. I was left sitting in the middle of my back yard while my quad came to a stop about fifty feet or more away from me

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Is that an 08 or 09?. Did you see the 2010s? I believe the 2010 have new plastic, I have only seen pics but, didn't like it. just wondering if it looked better than the pics.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

It is a left over new 2008, so we got a pretty good deal I think. She wanted a new one, but didn't like the looks of the 2010 model. A ten minute search on the computer found one new in the crate 2 hours away. This was the easiest atv purchase ever. I have the Polaris Star Card, so all the paperwork was ready before we got there; it took about 20 minutes to sign papers and load it in the truck.

I have seen a 2010 in person and don't really care for it. I like the headlights up on the handlebars. I just think it looks cool. I'm sure its pretty much the same except for cosmetics.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

when I decided to by a quad for myself, I went into a local dealer just looking and took a brochure and when I saw the scrambler with 4 wheel drive and no racks, That was the one I wanted. trouble was I went to every polairs dealer around me and they all said the same thing. they said that model just sat on the floor and it seemed like no one was interested and they figured they would be stuck with them over the off season. then all of a sudden they sold them all and couldn't get anymore. and they weren't sure if they would have that model the next year. I then called The dealer that I didn't want to deal with and they said they had two left. I drove up and bought one. funny thing was as I was leaving a guy came in asking to buy one and they said they had two left.

jinx44

#8 Post by jinx44 »

They definetly feel heavy when riding, but then again they are 4x4. I have owned half a dozen 400 Sports. Pretty cool bikes.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

They are a pretty cool for what they are. A nice comfortable compromise between sport and utility.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Wow Scramblers bring back memories. We used to ride with a guy who had the 2 stroke 400. Every single ride we went on he ended up flipping it. I rode it a few times and it had pretty good power but was way too top heavy and narrow to be safe so I could see how he crashed it so much. Eventually his last ride on it he did a wheelie in the parking lot and the throttle stuck wide open throwing him off the back and getting a good run before spearing his new truck in the side. Darn near $10,000 in damage. LOL Insurance rebuilt the quad and he tried to sell it for several years until he got a dealer to take it on trade to get rid of it for a new sled.
He eventually went to a trx250r. The only other time I saw one was my first mx race in Antigo. Some poor soul endoed his on the first jump and went to the hospital.
This was all back in the 90's. I imagine the ones nowdays are a bit lighter and more reliable. Man that triple chain drive was pretty wild.