Nitrous info needed????

MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

A few years back we put a 92 body on my sons 86 mud truck. mainly for the EFI. last weekend a local group put on what they call "Hill in a hole" which is basicly three mud holes with a couple feet dropoff between the first and second mud hole then a hill (or jump) between the second and third.

he has a fresh 350 with a real mild cam. the only thing he needs to drive this truck on the road is plates and insurance. and because of that he had to run in the modified class. He even has A/C laugh.gif

The trucks that took first and second had high dollar engines running race gas (maybe nitrous) and lightened body and chassie. he don't want to stick a bunch of money into his engine but he does need more ponies. I have never done anything with nitrous, so what I am wondering is How much can I squirt into this thing and not take a whole lot of life from the engine or distroying it in one run. It took him 12.32 seconds to make the run, but that would very quite a bit depending on pit setup and mud, so I am figuring 20-30 seconds to be safe.

I need some quick schooling to maybe save a few bucks any other info would be helpful also

So can I gain enough to make it worth while? and how can I tell when it has had enough and back out of the nitrous (temp??) how would he handle it when the truck becomes airborn? Backing off doesn't seem to be logical because the truck is nose heavy and the frount drops to fast allready.

Even though everything works on this truck to be street legal it will not be driven on the road. so I am looking at possibly relocating the engine rearward and lower. I don't think I can get it back far enough to match a quad balance but how are our quads balanced (60%front and 40% rear???)

Thanks

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Anything below a 200 shot should not take much life out of the motor as long as it is strong enough to take it. You would normally set it up to come on with a swithch on the throttle plate set for at or near 100% throttle when an arming switch is flipped. So it is something that would not be on for a whole run I would think so cooling should not be an issue and if its mud the rest of the drive train should do ok with it because you are just creating more wheel speed.
The kits these days are pretty cheap and accurate enough to be pretty safe especially for efi motors.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

the block is a 1975 four bolt so it should take a bit of abuse.

as far as a full throttle switch, I was told that some ecu's have a output for that, but that could be bs.

his first run he backed off a little to turn on his wipers and lost momentum. second run was on the floor the whole time. thats what he said and it sure looked that way.

my thinking may be wrong but, i feel we need to be able to get the rpm up and into a good part of the power curve. we are going from 4:54 to a 5:13 gears this winter. but all the small blocks I've seen even with the 5:13s have problems getting the rpms up into the powerband, other than the high dollar engines.

so is this the wrong applacation for nitrous? will it help for the start or does it need the the high rpms before it does much good

quadracer500

#4 Post by quadracer500 »

first off wax and buff the windsheld to keep it clear, second raise the stall speed on the torque converter to help the motor rev. free, and as for the nitrous it really depends on the pistons and rod bolts, when i was playing in the mud with a 467 chevy we were spraying it heavily with 14.7 to 1 pistons and 6000 stall converter had to replace rod bolts about every 40 runs , they were 7/16 bolts and still were stretching hope this helps , pm me if i can help did this for several years best time in 300ft was 3.4 seconds. The torque converter change will help keep the motor in the upper powerbands. Mine came from a place called jw converters.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Thanks all.

He only has a few more events he is attending this year and I don't think any are compititions. he had a mud Drag last thursday and I was thinking we could have stuck a nitrous kit on it real quick for that. but we had to many other thing going on so it probubly wasn't something I should have tried to do in a hurry anyways.

Like I said, I have not worked with Nitrous and most of what I do know are dalusions (SP?) from movies. They always give me the impression that the car is wond-out then they hit the button. I woud like to know if there is a lot of help at lower RPMs when the engine is lugging a little

this winter it will get 5:13s, front axle reinforced and probubly a stall converter. also we will try to shed a few pounds and try to get it more ballanced