What you guys think of 'other' quads

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Ok I am sure I ticked off enough people today. Old 2st's will always have a place in my heart. Sorry for being harsh.

themadhatter

#12 Post by themadhatter »

Dude, don't worry u have to be alot worse than that to upset any1 I know, especially me far to latex back. At the end of the day yes your entirly right I do get the same ish results from a 4 stroke as I do a 2 smoke, what it boils down to is 2 or 4??
Who cares we all love the sport, it's a family thing you know that.
If some one breaks down we all jump in to help get it bolted back together for the final.
2 or 4, one for all and all for one! He he he

marshall100

#13 Post by marshall100 »

Be nice to have grids big enough for differnet class's over here.! We all get lumped in together, 4x4's, experts, sportsman, 2 stroke, if it's got 4 wheels then one class fits all. In the last MX race I was at to my immediate left was a guy on a road legal raptor 700 and then next to him was a guy on a can am outlander 800. I wouldn't have minded but the guy on the outlander blocked me when I was trying to lap him!

If you want different class's then you have to start doing a fair amount of travelling, I've been told I'd do very well at enduro in say QRA because in theory I'm a novice at that level even though I have alot of club experience (well if you call 2 years that).

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Tell me about racing over there.

Over here a enduro is a event where you have checkpoints and specific times to meet those checkpoints. Points are awarded based on how close you get to the time without going over. Total event could last 2 days. Classes mostly based on skill and age.

TT here is a very smooth, packed curvy course with very small jumps and almost natural hills or off cambers. Run in 2 Motos of anywhere between 15min and half hr.

Harescrambles/XC is between 1/2hr-3hrs with at least some trails 50in wide or a little less and anything else they can throw at you. You go threw scoring and are timed each lap with winner having most lap and first threw after time runs out. Out west they do it in the desert and I believe they actually chase a designated rider. XC is generally same except wider trails as a whole.

MX I am sure you know. Sadly locally the bad economy has hit MX hardest and tracks are dropping quads because of low turnout. When I started racing quads in late 80's we also only were considered a exhibition class and everyone raced at same time even if it meant 3 or 4 rows. We had double jumps and alot of natural terrain jumps but nothing like they are doing today. It would not be safe to combine classes anymore because of the huge jumps being done regularly even by c-class riders on stock machines. Its a shame the economy hit the skids right now when racing quads mx was at its best but it still was fun as heck back in day and you learned alot from the better racers by racing them. You are right also you make alot of lifetime friends in the sport and get to see your kids learn what schools refuse to teach in school. Effort, dedication and how to win and lose gracefully with a bonus of just getting outside.

marshall100

#15 Post by marshall100 »

I can't vouch for the rest of the UK, but in Cornwall we don't have a single purpose built MX track that would host a quad event.

We tend to have the use of a couple of farmers fields that may or may not have the odd jump thrown in, but they cater mainly for the solo riders, and I'm sure you'll agree that a course for an mx bike isn't the same as one that would be ideal for an atv.

Your Enduro is our equivilant of a trial and I can think of only one trial that takes place per year in this county which has a quad class. The quads must be road legal as the sections are split up across the area and involve a fair amount of travel between the timed sections.

An enduro over here is the same as your Hare and Hounds/XC. A course anywhere from 5 to 7 miles long with the objective to be to complete as many laps as possible in two to three hours. We nearly always tend to run these down west with the sidecars, and the tighter sections will be just about wide enough to get a quad down.

In fairness, since the rebirth of the Cornwall Motocross Club, we've gone from famine to feast in terms of events. Last year there was a gap from an enduro in February to the middle of September! this year I've had to pick and choose when I'm riding because in some cases it would be consecutive weekends x3.

I must admit to having a preference to hare and hounds/enduro events, some of the MX guys have obscenely deep pockets and I feel that in some instances any man off the street could hold on for 15 minutes and still place. An enduro is about the whole package.

With 20 to 25 quads lining up for most events I'm well happy to be breaking into the top ten, on a bike most people would think is a museum piece!

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks!I wish we could include some road sections in our Harescrambles.That would make some HUGE courses.Sounds like alot of fun.

marshall100

#17 Post by marshall100 »

It's called the Flora road trial, I didn't know there was a quad class until I saw them driving straight past my house! Bikes, cars and quads, anything goes and they go all over cornwall.

Next year I'll enter my road dale with a bit of luck.