Honda shocks

speedracer

#1 Post by speedracer »

I have a 450r Honda I took out Sunday, the stock shocks are very stiff, is there anything that can be done to make them softer (like Blaze ohlins). I did turn the adjuster all the way soft, not much help. I have heard of having them re-valved, what does that mean? wacko.gif Thanks.

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

spring preload would be my first check. not sur how the R's adjust. some have grooves and spring clips and others have threads on the shock with adjusters you need a spanner wrench for (big channel locks gouge them up a bit). I'm surprised at how many people crank them up tight.

Re-valveing would require tearing the shock down and changeing parts inside. this means you would have to have a way of knowing which parts you need, a regulator and nitrogen bottle to recharge the shock. some special tools would also help. Cannondale 27 seems to have good prices and has good rating here.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I have a real good valve package for the rear Honda shock. Never revalved fronts just. Just refreshes.
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=80

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

I found a ZPS spring kit on e-bay I might try.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Send them to Laz at GT Thunder. He can make stock 450r shocks ride like a set of Elkas.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Feb 24 2011, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found a ZPS spring kit on e-bay I might try.

You would want a double or triple rate kit to smooth the ride along with lighter valving. Zps helps to make the quad ride lower for cornering not for ride quality .

speedracer

#7 Post by speedracer »

Yes,they are triple rate.I really liked the ride height of the dale I had with TCS converted ZPS shocks,felt very stable in high speed corners.Thanks for the tip Jess,I will check them out also.

jacobw

#8 Post by jacobw »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Feb 25 2011, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes,they are triple rate.I really liked the ride height of the dale I had with TCS converted ZPS shocks,felt very stable in high speed corners.Thanks for the tip Jess,I will check them out also.

C&d racing is closer and he can do them and so can nick at jet motorsports they have conversions that are suppose to be better than gt thunders