UGH Yamha Raptor problems

haulinit

#1 Post by haulinit »

So after a month of delays and what not's finally had my buddy's 03 686 CC, stage2 hot cam motor together and ready for break in. Went to break the motor in which was new from the bottom up, after about 30 minutes of ride time it came to a sudden stop. Got it back to the truck after some looking figured out what the problem was, A giant hole in the case under the starter. Apparently the new wiseco crank set up decided to seize the large end of the rod to the crank journal. Which ohmy.gif slammed the counter balance thorough the top of the cases. Needless to say I'm not very happy mad.gif about the whole deal. Has anybody else had problems with wiseco cranks?

Funny thing is the supposed most unreliable quad is the only one out of the last two weekends to survive the riding trips the DALE! My buddies Z400 sheared the flywheel key and my 87 LT500 gernaded the clutch and clutch basket.

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Apr 3 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So after a month of delays and what not's finally had my buddy's 03 686 CC, stage2 hot cam motor together and ready for break in. Went to break the motor in which was new from the bottom up, after about 30 minutes of ride time it came to a sudden stop. Got it back to the truck after some looking figured out what the problem was, A giant hole in the case under the starter. Apparently the new wiseco crank set up decided to seize the large end of the rod to the crank journal. Which ohmy.gif slammed the counter balance thorough the top of the cases. Needless to say I'm not very happy mad.gif about the whole deal. Has anybody else had problems with wiseco cranks?

Funny thing is the supposed most unreliable quad is the only one out of the last two weekends to survive the riding trips the DALE! My buddies Z400 sheared the flywheel key and my 87 LT500 gernaded the clutch and clutch basket.

I'm not to familiar with the Raptor motors but most have a gear that times the counter ballance to the crank, unless there's a sheared key or gear teeth, I can't see the crank coming to a stop causing the counter weight to keep going.
Did you tear into the motor to verify the crank seizure or is this speculation? It sounds like something came loose and got pushed through the case. No extra room in the bottom end.

haulinit

#3 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Apr 3 2011, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not to familiar with the Raptor motors but most have a gear that times the counter balance to the crank, unless there's a sheared key or gear teeth, I can't see the crank coming to a stop causing the counter weight to keep going.
Did you tear into the motor to verify the crank seizure or is this speculation? it sounds like something came loose and got pushed through the case. No extra room in the bottom end.

Oh theres gears that time the counterbalancer to the crank and it sheared the key to the counter balancer. It stoped hard enough it started to twist a rather large piece of key stock on the crank.
Yeah I tore the motor down last night its seized tighter then a drum.

haulinit

#4 Post by haulinit »

Talked to Wiseco they told me to send them the bottom end of the motor, cases and all they are going to look it over and determine what the cause was. If it was the crank that failed and caused the damage they are going to replace everything that it damaged.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

I got a buddy that has a 660 that he put a stroked crank and new piston in,it shot a hole in the case also,dont remember what brand though.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Apr 4 2011, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talked to Wiseco they told me to send them the bottom end of the motor, cases and all they are going to look it over and determine what the cause was. If it was the crank that failed and caused the damage they are going to replace everything that it damaged.

Sounds too good to be true, let us know the results

haulinit

#7 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Apr 4 2011, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds too good to be true, let us know the results

The cases are gutted with only the crank and counter balance in them and ready to ship. Kuma I guess I will find out how true it its hopefully in the near future.

haulinit

#8 Post by haulinit »

The cases will be at wiseco tomorrow, I'm hoping for a quick responce.

haulinit

#9 Post by haulinit »

Got my responce back from Wiseco, they are going to replace everything! They told to send them a invoice with prices and parts they are going to cut me a check to replace the parts.

So the question is do I qoute new OEM parts or used parts to replace stuff with? My thoughts are they are standing behind there product so no reason to gouge them on the parts, or do I give them **** and make them PAY and price all new parts? I dont know what the industry standard is for this kinda deal.

jinx44

#10 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Apr 20 2011, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My thoughts are they are standing behind there product so now reason to gouge them on the parts,

That's the way I would do it. One reason companies are quick to lay blame elsewhere and not want to pay out on issues (besides many issues not being their fault in the first place) is people trying to bilk them for more money. If it was a court case, you would be made "whole" which means back to the same point you were. Not coming out "ahead" with new parts.

FYI, I am a small business owner and deal with warrantied products daily.

EDIT: I must say I am impressed with Wiesco's response. I have used probably 100 of their pistons and 3-4 banshee cranks over the years. I have never had an issue, but its good to know they take responibility if I would.