Gas Gas 300

marshall100

#21 Post by marshall100 »

Just been up and paid the man for the quad. ??1800 which I have no idea works out in $, but for a road legal quad is dirty cheap over here, even more so with it being around 4 years old. Plastics are rough, and it sits very high for a 450 quad, more so than a cannondale!

Needs an MOT (road test inspection) and some road tax, but it looks good. The tyres are not E rated which means I'll need to find a full set of boots for it as they'll fail it on the spot when they do the test. Rare as hens teeth, even more so than my dale. Radiator on the quad is huge, not sure about a twist grip throttle either. I'm certain this is supposed to have fully adjustable Ohlins all round, and while they look right, I didn't check the markings on them fully....

Need to phone for some insurance on it which could be painful. Pic to follow when I get home. Over the moon that my quest to replace my road legal dale is over, but I should never have sold that in the first place..... blink.gif

marshall100

#22 Post by marshall100 »

Not sure what that headlight is made out of, but I expect it to be broken if I use it in an enduro this weekend.

speedracer

#23 Post by speedracer »

The 450 looks nothing like the 300 I have,mine sits low and wide.The stem is chrome,aswell as the axle and a-arms.I done know what the headlight looks like,it has a z400 Maier hood.I wish I could post pics on here,but cant with the new camera.As far as the twist,mine has a Yamaha thumb throttle,the 450 is injected isnt it.I bet Terry cable can make you a custom thumb set-up,they made one for me for a Banshee with sno-mo carbs.Good-luck with getting it road legal,you guys are soooo lucky!

marshall100

#24 Post by marshall100 »

laugh.gif Turns out Maxis Razor 2's are indeed e rated so it won't be needing new tyres after all!

As you've quite rightly pointed out, it is indeed fuel injected, and a yam 450 thumb throtlle is the route to take for replacing the twist throttle. Will need to try and track down some plastics for it at some point. Fuel tank is a massive 18 litres or so I'm told. Not sure of it's intended use now, I was going to run it out in an enduro at the weekend but I've got transport problems so that won't happen. However, it might be perfect for road trials, basically on and off road point to point tests/races. Gutted I can't get it tested in time for the weekend, we have a public holiday here on monday and I would have loved to go out hooning around on it.

I'll know a bit more in around 4 hours time, not that I'm counting down or anything wink.gif

marshall100

#25 Post by marshall100 »

My god, the things enormous.

marshall100

#26 Post by marshall100 »

Ok, a bit more time in this monsters company, but not a huge amount.

Pictures will follow, but my god this quad is eneormous. The cannondale is a fairly large bike, this thing is a full two inches wider all round in stock form, and that's above and beyond the additional width I'd put on my own dale! I'm sure I've read about rear axle bearing failures, and based upon the loads going through it I'm not suprised. It would be hilarious to race it, because it'd be like trying to get past a barge.

I wheeled it back into the garage where my dale is in the repair area, and it sits about 2 inches above the rear grab bar. I would imagine that it's closer in all areas to that of a Bombardier 650, with the exception of the engine, which is a much bigger unit than the 440.

Going to have to do a fair amount of work to it to bring it up to the spec I want it. The main benefit of it over my road legal cannondale is that I can be very lazy and just run it into a gas gas dealer and get them to fix it.

I did think that it had Ohlins shocks all the way round, but they are sachs on the newer bikes. Does anyone have any experience of them?

The exhaust is stupendously loud, and I'm sure that the wife will be complaining before long. More info to follow.....

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

I have done a few Sachs shocks on the Pialo dirtbikes and mini quads.Obviously not a Ohlins but they work and can be valved and rebuilt.Is a few plastic parts on them that is cost saving measures but they work.Better than WP which requires a bunch of specialty tools to work on.

marshall100

#28 Post by marshall100 »

Ok, this is quite intersting and not quite what I had in mind, but there you go....

While doing a few test runs in the garden, the quad kept cutting out. I noticed it seemed to be blowing air against my leg....

To cut a long story short, it's split the rubber connector between the throttle body and the air intake. So while I've got it in bits I'll be taking a few pictures, seems very closely realted to our own bikes, but not quite as well thought out in terms of maintaining it. Uses the same spark plugs as the cannondale, and all the engine connects/ecu/sensor clips are the same type too. The fuel tank while big isn't really that massive.

Pics to follow...

marshall100

#29 Post by marshall100 »

Does anyone know if the front bumper is the same size as any other brand? I know it's a narrower than the cannondale equivilant.

marshall100

#30 Post by marshall100 »

I never thought I'd say this, but it's easier to get bits for the cannondale than it is for the gas gas.

I've landed myself trying to get parts for what is in essence a faberge egg. It's nuts. Get hold of suppliers, offer them some coin, and nobody comes back to me.

Recession? your joking me.