Gas Gas 300

Dude54758

#51 Post by Dude54758 »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Aug 12 2011, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stock Ohlins are terrible. On the front at least, it's transformed my race bike since I put the Gt thunders on there.

I'm not sure if you've ever had a dale on the road with stock ohlins but the bike is all over the place. It's certainly entertaining under acceleration.

gasser rides true do to caster. The ohlins on the gasser are very nice dual rate. Infact the ohlins on the front of my gasser are bigger than dales rear ohlin. I have had my gasser topped out at 87.3mph on pavment and it felt just fine.

Dude54758

#52 Post by Dude54758 »

you also should be putting down north of 58hp to the wheels with that 300 if you get ti tunes right squishband angle etc pv tweakign etc. Nice porting cleaning up teh transfers and going with a dived pwk40 carb. Also grab a trx11 esr pipe

Dude54758

#53 Post by Dude54758 »

Let alone when you figure out who to talk to about +6 stroker and 365 kits smile.gif Look to spain my friend.

jesshamner

#54 Post by jesshamner »

I can vouch that the Cannondale is not a road worth quad. But it was not intended for that use so that really isn't saying much. But you're right Marshall, the cdale is all over the place on the road.

marshall100

#55 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (Dude54758 @ Aug 12 2011, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let alone when you figure out who to talk to about +6 stroker and 365 kits smile.gif Look to spain my friend.

I should have said, it's the 450 4 stroke and not the 300 which even in this part of the world is highly respected. The 450 engine is lifted straight out of the 450 fse enduro bike, and is remarkably easy to get parts for.

It also comes with sachs fully adjustable shocks and not the ohlins that are fitted to the earlier bikes. I'm fairly sure that they're long travl too but I'm not certain.

marshall100

#56 Post by marshall100 »

Aw nuts, the gasgas legendary reliability strikes early:

I knew that wasn't sounding quite right dry.gif

speedracer

#57 Post by speedracer »

Thats fugly,what went wrong?

marshall100

#58 Post by marshall100 »

I can honestly say I'm really not sure anymore. I thought a couple of the bolts holding the flywheel in place had backed out and it is possible I guess that they then got sheared off. But there's a couple of washers which seem to have appeared from somewhere so I'm not too sure anymore. The third and remaining flywheel bolt was loose so it is the most likely scenario. The worry was how much of this mess had been digested by the engine. Fortunately the crank is sealed and the sump and filters appear to have done what they should do. The oil filter was clean and the sump filter internals showed no sign of metal/plastic/copper. Got to love the cannondale for the fact it doesn't allow this to happen.

The stator and flywheel are a mess. The wrecked flywhel might make a nice paperweight when I clean it up tho. It's a ??300 bill I could have done without.

I'm just more concerned as to why it happened. The bolts backing out with a lack of loctite seems the most likely scenario. As long as the oil flow goes the way I think it does, then all is not lost. It's the single engine component that the quad doesn't share with the bike mellow.gif

marshall100

#59 Post by marshall100 »

The plot thickens, I have a new stator here and it's nothing like the one which was destroyed, and that's not because the old one has been smashed to pieces. I suspect that the previous owner decided the genuine quad replacement item was too expensive and purchased the stator for the FSE enduro bike, it seems odd that when I phoned gasgas uk they said they had one on the shelf that somebody didn't want.....

There's only 4 of these bikes in the country, he must have put the other one in and chanced it which sadly I'm paying the price for.

And the flywheel puller is enormous.

loboracer

#60 Post by loboracer »

I did a complete write up on the 2003 Gas Gas Wild 300, stock and with mods and posted it on my site. If anyone is wondering how they are check out the story. www.racingquads.com "gas gas page"