EFI Live

MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

My son and I have recently become owners of a couple Duramax trucks. I talked him into spliting the cost of EFI Live scanner/tunner. the unit comes with two licenenes for tuning but will scan anything. It is a bit overwelming but it does way more than other tuners I have seen. it has black box logging and the ability to read and change a bunch of stuff. also does cylinder balance. shut off and turn on componets controled by the ecu. the scanner reads all control units that are accessable from the OBD II plug ABS,SRS,TCM and ECU, but you can only write to the ecu and tcm. Lots of reading ahead.. Even found somthing in the PID's that says calculated HP and calculated Torque.

These engines are impressive stock but I want to be able to adjust for a couple things that might fall off ohmy.gif . plus some tuners have improve the milage a bit with these

cannonman

#2 Post by cannonman »

Get the Smoke-Lope tune, AWESOME!!!!!

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Not to sound like a tree hugger but them people running around making all that smoke are just aggervating the EPA. and then the EPA is agervating the companies that build the tuners, besides if you don't have stacks I think it looks stupid comming out a tail pipe and it does end up making the truck look like a pile of junk with all that soot sticking to it, man you pretty much have to wheel the truck out to get that crap off. I would maybe think a little differant if it actually meant the truck was running stronger. there was a vidieo on utube of a guy claiming around 1000 HP and on his run it puffed a little cloud of black while spooling up and exhaust looked clean after that, I think he hit around 140MPH pulling a small camper trailer. I'm just looking to make the truck run good and be able to do the cylinder balance tests. I will have a dsp5 switch so I can select differant maps. thinking a full limp mode (allready had one truck with all my tools stolen) Light tow, Heavy tow Fuel mileage and maybe one with a few xtra ponies.

Ive been reading the manuals but most examples are for gasers. but if I'm reading it correctly you can install a wide band O2 sensor drive the car while black box logging then use the loged files to build your own personal map for how you drive. but, I had to start skiping over some of this gasser stuff and start looking for more info on diesel tunning

haulinit

#4 Post by haulinit »

I have EFIlive and have done dsp5 switches on two d-maxs, stock/50HP(tow)/100HP/lope and a couple of other mics...tunes. I run just a straight 50HP tow tune on my dads 02 cclb dually.

The LB7's are by far the easiest to tune the VGT LLY 04.5 and up motors are more like tunning a gas motor. Gassers like my cammed vortec 350 are much harder to tune a lot more stuff too fiddle with.

The learning curve is very steep and some of it is not that intuitive. Building DSP tunes arent that difficult but it takes time to figure it all out. The first DSP was on an LB7 and quickly figured out that the base (position 1 on the switch) tune set all the parameters for the following "tunes". First try was with the stock tune as the base, thats when I figured out that with the 100HP tune it was like riding a very "pipey" small two stroke motor, it would come on then de-fuel for the shift then once shifted it would take off again until it was ready to shift again which wasnt very long, up and down up and down. The VGT motors are different as in the base tune dosent control the other parameters on the other tunes like the lb7.

I found that I use it a lot for the scan feature to DTC's. One thing you have to VERY careful of is "bricking" the ECU (almost did it too a 2005 while reflashing the ecu) any interruption in communication between the cable and ECU can render the ECU junk such as simply turning on the dome light or the stereo on.

All the trucks I have tuned are very "Clean" tunes with a little puff of smoke till the turbo spools then its hang on!

haulinit

#5 Post by haulinit »

lope tune video

Here is a video of the LB7 I did a lope tune on, I is just for fun and gets quit a few looks and people asking how big of a cam is in that thing.

cannonman

#6 Post by cannonman »

Yep, that's the tune I was talkin bout, love it!!

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

i would like to get more rumble sounding exhaust instead of the Hiss from the LLY, been playing with it a bit but the VVT does make it hard with a stock muffler. I have heard some that sound pretty good but, I'm sure they are running an aftermarket muffler or exhaust. I know a lot of people are running straight pipes but, I actually think they sound terrible. We do Have one guy around here I have seen ideling around the Meijer parking lot that sounds really good, I need to talk to him to find out what exhaust he is running. once he starts accellerating and the turbo vanes close it goes back to the hisss

haulinit

#8 Post by haulinit »

The one LLY that I did I changed the "Vane" positon to get rid off the hiss but that opens a whole other can of worms, well on a tune larger then stock. What I ran into was an "under boost" condition when on high idle. I then had to adjust the parameters on the boost scaling to get rid of the DTC.

There is a company here in Iowa that makes really nice exhaust for a very reasonable price, they are made of thick wall tubing. The LB7 in the video is running one of there 5" system's straight pipe with a 8" or 6" tip.

exhaust link

Check here on diesel place in the tune library for some tunes to get you started.
Tune libary

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I've been all thru that tune library. you can actually download the EFI Live software for free and then download some tunes and play around changing them. a word of warning to the guy's/addicts here, It is almost as addictive as Cannondales.

My son is replcing his 05 Dodge Cummins (EFI Live now does dodge cummins) which has a straight pipe and my soninlaw discribes it best......sounds like a school bus.......... I would realy like to get the rumble but, would never give up the turbo.

I had a 92 GMC with a flowmaster muffler on it that wasn't real loud but sounded real good. eveybody thought it had a built engine in it.... of coarse I never confessed it wasn't