snowmobiling time

MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well, with me working road construction my quads don't see much action. a lot of weekend work this year and it looks like even more next year. Last winter we did a bit of snowmobiling and my son just picked up a couple 800 Ski-doo's. an 06 and a 07. and wow, when reading up on the web, it is a bit scary. lots of blown motors. not sure if we made a big mistake or not. I know most of the people who don't have problems don't post and most of the people that do have problems, post a lot. I am looking forward to getting out on this REV chase tho.

road last year on a 02 ZR. we ride at a petty quick speed (nothing crazy) but my son and son inlaw don't take breaks except for gas and lunch and ocationaly check a map. so I think just the extra suspension will be a blessing

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Yes time to get out the ice pigs. I never cared much for snowmobiles as the quads are much more fun but the wife needs her luxury . The trails the last few years just never got good enough for quading. Every darn weekend we would get snow and the trails would be to loose. Maybe this year they will be different .
As far as sleds you know you have to go literally engine by engine year by year to find which ones were the troublesome ones. A lot of Doo's had the grease packed bearing which failed on a pretty patterned basis. Kinney Racing does a load of those cranks and he says he does a mod to the cases to feed oil to the new bearings eliminating the problem.
Have fun.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Like I tell the bike guys who talk like that about the quads, they are only pigs if you ride them like a pig. I'm not much of a cruiser. I don't need to be doing a blistering speed but, I do like to be on and off the throttle, so a little tighter trail with lots of turns and short straights is my preference.

Last year my son picked up a older rev and after one short ride I would not get back on it. not because i didn't like it. it just sucked going back to the sled I road. trails right by my house are real tight, even the river we ride is twist and turns a lot of steep banks to climb to go around fallen trees and open water. we also take a small creek to the bay but spend minimal time on the bay.

I do have to admit riding the river with the quad is a blast. as long as there is no loose snow or slush the sleds are no match especially if there is a lot of bare ice