For Sale

speedracer

#21 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Jun 15 2006, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now that you say that really I'm just guessing it was painted....fullbore would be the only one I can think of with metallic flakes in it like that....hopefully he'll fill us in on the paint job and get some whole quad pics too...I LOVE TECATE's and would trade my dale right now for it...especially this one.....looks real nice and well kept.....too bad he already has two dales...

Yes it was painted.Was very easy.I have an 02 speed that had silver plasticon it.My gas capstarted leaking and stained real bad.Was up at auto zone and saw this paint called mirage made by dupli color.It came in a pack of three spray cans.What the heck my plastic cant look any worse.First took the plastic off then wet sanded it with 1000 grit sand paper to allow the paint to adhere then wiped the plastic down with laquer thinner.Mak sure to use a tack cloth on it after it dries the plastic has static that grabs fuz.Next cover your floor gotta have a clean area.Than put on the flat base coat it takes a couple passes to get it solid black.Make sure to give it proper dry time between coats.Next comes mid coat.the color.Be sure that it is conplety covered with this step go different directions and have good lighting in the area.Step 3 clear coat.You cant see the paint until you put the clear on but then...WOW.I didnt think that the clear coat that came with the kit would hold up to the abuse that the plastic gets looked too thin.So i went to an auto paint supplier told the guy what i was doing.Hehooked me up with a two part automotive clear coat that was tough but would stay flexable.Cant remeber what it was called but it was an acrylic made by dupont.Now you need a cup gun or a HVLP machine.This does not come in a can.Iput on 4 good coats gave it a couple days to cure then put it back on the speed.What a huge change.In the sun one direction it would look purple the other gold....totally cool.It held up great.Ihad the plastic on the speed for two years until i found a quad tech hood and new black plastic.The good thing was when your boots scuff it it would come right out with car wax.Areal head turner too.Oh yea the kawa has blu and red i think it looks better. It only cost about $50 and 5 hours of my time ...a bargin.

jesshamner

#22 Post by jesshamner »

Now can we see pics of the speed?

MyCannibal

#23 Post by MyCannibal »

yeah that'd be hot....

speedracer

#24 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jun 16 2006, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MyCannibal

#25 Post by MyCannibal »

**** dude u got some sick a$$ quads brother....so which two Dales u still have?...plus a Tecate?..now I can see why the wife is mad....lol....and that paint job does look tight....

speedracer

#26 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Jun 16 2006, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
**** dude u got some sick a$$ quads brother....so which two Dales u still have?...plus a Tecate?..now I can see why the wife is mad....lol....and that paint job does look tight....

I still have both just changed the purple to black.... Yes the wife was extremely mad....

banzairx7

#27 Post by banzairx7 »

have a friend who is showing some interest. He had a tecate about 10yrs ago. Was a great bike +2 arms, worked over motor. He literally wrapped it around a tree. We had to pull the bike off the tree with a truck. Luckily he was OK. Anyway he's getting nostalgic. Where are you located?

speedracer

#28 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (banzairx7 @ Jun 16 2006, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have a friend who is showing some interest. He had a tecate about 10yrs ago. Was a great bike +2 arms, worked over motor. He literally wrapped it around a tree. We had to pull the bike off the tree with a truck. Luckily he was OK. Anyway he's getting nostalgic. Where are you located?

Im live in St.Louis Missouri.I would be happy to take it some place to be shipped.Its never even been in the dirt yet.Bought the quad five years ago from a local bike repair shop rode it up the street was a pile of junk.Stripped it down to the frame.Ive been working on it since then.Got done with it in feb.rode it a couple of times round the block thats about all seemed quick.

cobradaler

#29 Post by cobradaler »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jun 16 2006, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have both just changed the purple to black.... Yes the wife was extremely mad....

do u still have the purple plastic?

speedracer

#30 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (cobradaler @ Jun 18 2006, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do u still have the purple plastic?

Sorry sold it last year.Still have the carbon fiber headlight covers and twist throttle...cheap if you want them both are like new.