axis rear shock

jacobw

#21 Post by jacobw »

i took the spring off my machine the other day and measure to see what the real travel was and it was about 10 3/4" using a 2x4 as a bottom stop and then jacking till the tires were barely on the ground if someone wants it know it about 3/4" more than cannondale advertised.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 19 2009, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, I'm looking at the additional room out the back of the exhaust port. Me got some ideas........ tongue.gif

Yea good thought!

If Grandlund ran it and it didnt break I wouldnt worry much then.He is a big guy.I do remember back in the no link days almost everyone ran PEP.I wonder if Axis had touble getting it right on our Dales?I never rode a rear Axis on a dale.I am thinking the biggest issue in stock position would be the shock being to soft especially with a normal size spring.So maybe they came up with this.It should be stiffer at begining of travel.

2000ex

#23 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 19 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea good thought!

If Grandlund ran it and it didnt break I wouldnt worry much then.He is a big guy.I do remember back in the no link days almost everyone ran PEP.I wonder if Axis had touble getting it right on our Dales?I never rode a rear Axis on a dale.I am thinking the biggest issue in stock position would be the shock being to soft especially with a normal size spring.So maybe they came up with this.It should be stiffer at begining of travel.

Yeah, he is about 220 and a Pro rider so I am sure they put it through the paces.

In case you have not noticed, few shock manufacturers could really get the rear "right". There are only a few that do the job well. PEP and the stock ohlins come to mind. This Axis is a very stiff dual rate so it is extremely progressive without too much sag on the initial spring like you find with a lot of other dual rate setups.

The problem with it is two fold. Shock Angle. Due to the angle, the last few inches of wheel travel are done with about 1/8 inch shaft travel...it is poor by design. Also with the shock being placed DIRECTLY next to a very hot header pipe it breaks down the oil rapidly. I can feel the difference after a moto and they clearly fade due to the heat. For those of you who have not found the rear fade due to heat are not riding hard enough smile.gif

Combine those two things and you have the problem we have with the rear shocks. My friend did a lot of work with Elka R&D designing the shock trying to get it right and they essentially gave up due to the poor geometry.

I will put together a full report with pics of my setup once I get it on and have put some laps on it.

jacobw

#24 Post by jacobw »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Aug 19 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, he is about 220 and a Pro rider so I am sure they put it through the paces.

In case you have not noticed, few shock manufacturers could really get the rear "right". There are only a few that do the job well. PEP and the stock ohlins come to mind. This Axis is a very stiff dual rate so it is extremely progressive without too much sag on the initial spring like you find with a lot of other dual rate setups.

The problem with it is two fold. Shock Angle. Due to the angle, the last few inches of wheel travel are done with about 1/8 inch shaft travel...it is poor by design. Also with the shock being placed DIRECTLY next to a very hot header pipe it breaks down the oil rapidly. I can feel the difference after a moto and they clearly fade due to the heat. For those of you who have not found the rear fade due to heat are not riding hard enough smile.gif

Combine those two things and you have the problem we have with the rear shocks. My friend did a lot of work with Elka R&D designing the shock trying to get it right and they essentially gave up due to the poor geometry.

I will put together a full report with pics of my setup once I get it on and have put some laps on it.

Wes I have to agree and disagree the cannondale rear end works very well, I had a yfz with the custom axis dual rate remote rezzy, with GT thunder link the same setup Bill Ballance ran and i did a lot of tweaking and for xc racing the cannondale rear end is alot better and if you are fading you might want to use some header wrap the no-link is very simple and works very will, and let me tell you I ride A or Pro-Am locally and I am not a slouch now i have raced mx and never had any problems with fade either the stock OHLINS is the way to go, you cant really beat that setup, every look at bicycles the shock is always layed down most of the time at an angle

jacobw

#25 Post by jacobw »

getting the rezzy away from the header will help out alot also, during a hard moto shocks are gonna fade anyway, just the nature lots of friction involved. This looks like a half ***** deal to me if ohlins and Pep then the other companies are missing the boat and our shock is really too short for a dual rate to work well a single rate is all that is needed, I remember Kenny Campbell had pro-pilot racing build him custom ohlins with hi-lo speed adj and him saying they worked flawless and he can ride, Derno also has a ohlins that was done by pro-pilot and it worked flawless, i have rode 450r and YFZ, and Z400 and others the cannondale has the best rear end IMO.

2000ex

#26 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (jacobw @ Aug 19 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wes I have to agree and disagree the cannondale rear end works very well, I had a yfz with the custom axis dual rate remote rezzy, with GT thunder link the same setup Bill Ballance ran and i did a lot of tweaking and for xc racing the cannondale rear end is alot better and if you are fading you might want to use some header wrap the no-link is very simple and works very will, and let me tell you I ride A or Pro-Am locally and I am not a slouch now i have raced mx and never had any problems with fade either the stock OHLINS is the way to go, you cant really beat that setup, every look at bicycles the shock is always layed down most of the time at an angle

Jacob....Fair enough. In my experience XC racing is fine on the rear. I do XC here locally at the A level as well and never have a problem with fade on my Ohlins as you are not riding full bore for 2 hours. It is mostly MX racing where this happens. Wide open throttle the entire time combined with very fast shaft speeds will bring the heat to the shock much more than XC. Do you think heat from the header does not affect performance? I would much rather have the header coming out the front than have it right next to the shock if it were a perfect world.

Nothing is perfect with suspension, everything is a compromise and this design can clearly be improved from what I have experienced and been told by others. I love the no link for its simplicity and clearance, but I think the angle could be improved upon hence why I bought this link to do some testing.

I also just wrapped my header on my MX bike heavily last week and will test that out this weekend. I agree, the Ohlins and PEP are the only shocks I have felt did a more than adequate job MX racing. Others have been fair to poor. I have tried Fox, TCS, Elka, PEP, Ohlins, and now need to give this Axis a try with the new setup.

jacobw

#27 Post by jacobw »

Let me know how it works for you i just didnt like that you have to heat the tank and reform it to fit that is ok for mx but stinks for 2 hour xc racing.

Wes on a side note I need a skid plate biggrin.gif

2000ex

#28 Post by 2000ex »

Shoot me your email and I will send you a paypal invoice smile.gif

jacobw

#29 Post by jacobw »

jwhittington@daytonfreight.com

fearlessfred

#30 Post by fearlessfred »

QUOTE (jacobw @ Aug 19 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>