axis rear shock

2mike18

#31 Post by 2mike18 »

I saw you mentioned that it does not change the travel but looking at it it looks like it moves the eye up further like maybe an inch? so does it affect the ride height in anyway? also if you plan to make a few of them let me know would be interested in getting one and trying it with my elka.

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

Heat from exhaust isnt causing shock to fade I can guarantee that unless the pipe is actually on the shock.Most people dont realize just how much heat a shock creates.If shock is fading its because of the design,oil,or something else.I have Custom Axis on my snowmobile there is nothing but snow and ice hitting that shock in rear.After a good pounding through the woops at 10 deg outside you cannot touch the shock it is so hot.Now if going real slow like in a tight harescramble I could see it getting heat soaked but it would only happen with almost no airflow.

Now I do agree that there are some issues with our no link setup.Biggest is the speeds the shock has to work at(much faster than linkage design) also the short travel shock makes it difficult to run it low and still have it work decent.The PDS system in the stock Ohlins also makes lowering difficult.Now at a higher(stock) ride hieght I would say only stock quad that compares is the YFZ.

fearlessfred

#33 Post by fearlessfred »

the correct shock angle is when you draw a line thru the lower shock pivit and swing arm pivit and then aline thru center shock and when in full bump it is shy of being a right angle if lay it down the spring rate curve is to steep once you have the angle correct then you need to have enough spring to hold rider and bike at ride height with out preloading the spring just snugged down let the spring do most of the compression damping that will keep temps down and less fade

haydug

#34 Post by haydug »

If you wrap the exhaust, take time to ceramic coat the internals of the muffler, it will get hot enough to do several things, starting with cooking the powdercoat (if coated) and cause it to get brittle and break brackets. Just speaking from experience.

2000ex

#35 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 19 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heat from exhaust isnt causing shock to fade I can guarantee that unless the pipe is actually on the shock.Most people dont realize just how much heat a shock creates.If shock is fading its because of the design,oil,or something else.I have Custom Axis on my snowmobile there is nothing but snow and ice hitting that shock in rear.After a good pounding through the woops at 10 deg outside you cannot touch the shock it is so hot.Now if going real slow like in a tight harescramble I could see it getting heat soaked but it would only happen with almost no airflow.

Now I do agree that there are some issues with our no link setup.Biggest is the speeds the shock has to work at(much faster than linkage design) also the short travel shock makes it difficult to run it low and still have it work decent.The PDS system in the stock Ohlins also makes lowering difficult.Now at a higher(stock) ride hieght I would say only stock quad that compares is the YFZ.

Steve, I will have to respectfully disagree with your statement on heat from the pipe does not help cause the shock to fade. So what you are saying is that the heat from a header pipe will not cause a drastic increase in shock temperature at all vs a shock that does not have a header directly next to it? How can that possibly be true? If you put your hand next to a 400 degree oven when you open the door will it get hot? If course it will. If you leave it there for 15 minutes will your hand burn?

I talked to my friend tonight who again worked hand in hand with Elka in developing the shock back in 2002-2003. He said when measuring the geometry the last 3 inches of wheel travel are controlled by only 10mm of shaft travel! How can that be good for leverage ratio's? Also it will burn the oil prematurely causing again heat and breakdown of the fluid.

I am going to need to break out a laser thermometer this weekend after my race and compare my shock next to a Honda and see whose shock is hotter after a moto. Any bets?

Happyboy

#36 Post by Happyboy »

The honda's. I was amazed at the temp different of my dale vs my friends yfz. Just amazing.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

If you put the oven in even a 10mph wind with the door open it will never reach 400deg except right on the burner(exhaust).I would not be afraid to hold my hand within a inch of burner in those conditions.

I agree though that the short stroke and high speeds of the shock are definitly much harder on the shock.A Ohlins also has less oil in it than most shocks and is steel which dissipates less heat than aluminum bodied shocks .But as long as the shock is working correctly it will create less heat and I am fairly confident as long as reading is taken immediately after fairly identical laps the Cannondale shock will be very close in temp to a Honda especially if a stock one since they are terribly valved stock shocks.

duke416ex

#38 Post by duke416ex »

Were there any more of tehse linkages made, if so where can you find them. If not can anyone get any of the measurements from them?

m_mcgranahan

#39 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

Iam also interested in a ride/race report with this setup. I might like to try something like this on mine as well.

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

massdabate

#40 Post by massdabate »

interesting i bet i could mill that piece