axis rear shock

moto440

#11 Post by moto440 »

yes the the r kit is awesome, now after the new one is fixed i am wanting to do a cr 250 engine dale, supposed to be a sweet combo. then i will be up to 5 atvs LOL a collection like you

2000ex

#12 Post by 2000ex »

I just got this thing in and is it interesting how different the rear end feels with the shock angle changed. I have not ridden with it yet however it feels PLUSH.

It does not fit with the stock tank without heating up the bottom and reforming it around the link, and it also does not fit the 250r kit due to its bulk. This link is aluminum and was designed according to Fred by Nic Granlund and Mike Hallock of Custom Axis back in the day and he said it works FLAWLESS, and I can feel it probably does.

I will be re-engineering a new link that is more low profile with the same shock angle measurements that will fit a 250r kit and hopefully a stock tank as well out of steel and do some testing and see how it works out.

I will also try and get some pics of this up shortly so you can see what it looks like.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

funny i never got a pic of it. :/ post one would yah? smile.gif

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea this is interesting.

2000ex

#15 Post by 2000ex »

Here are the pics he sent me.

The shock I will take measurements on and see if it is the same length/stroke as the Ohlins. The reason why I bought it was more for the R&D that was done on the link angle and measurements than the shock and this particular setup.

[attachment=8760:Shock_Relocation1.jpg]
[attachment=8761:Shock_Relocation2.jpg]
[attachment=8762:Shock_Relocation3.jpg]

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Is it better than your PEP setup? Since shock is more upright it should be less progressive than stock position.

I know without relocating the chain roller there is less than a 1/8 in downtravel to be gained and really no up travel. So it would have to give some gains in quality to be worth it. Also a little concerned about the amount of upward force on the rear mount. Have seen those broke on stockers but always suspected it was guys running without the strut.

Is this run with a different swingarm also? It's almost upright enough that a linkage swingarm could be used. Maybe that's what they were going to try?

2000ex

#17 Post by 2000ex »

Don't know, I have not run it yet...just got it yesterday.

There is no gain in travel, however it makes it smoother due to the change in leverage ratio's.

It is designed to run with a stock swingarm and has a similar angle to a Roll No-Link that were so popular on the 250r's. I would not be concerned at all about the upward force on the rear mount. This thing is BEEFY. Far more strong than the strut it was replacing. Look at the top shock mounting tabs made from mild steel on other machines...they are paper thin and seem to hold up just fine.

kdeal

#18 Post by kdeal »

Steve, I'm looking at the additional room out the back of the exhaust port. Me got some ideas........ tongue.gif

Happyboy

#19 Post by Happyboy »

While the strut portion is real beefy i would be more concerned with the upwards force on the bolt mount. On the stock version the shock force is pushing up the strut direction for the most part, on this one it is moving more perpendicular which i would hate to see a break cause it would just go at yah nuts. eek

2000ex

#20 Post by 2000ex »

From what I was told It was tested extensively by Axis and Nic Granlund with no signs of failure and they were going to put it into production right before Cannondale went under.

Honestly, I am really not concerned with a failure since all other machines out there have FAR LESS structural integrity when it comes to upper shock mounts. Take a look at a 450r Honda upper shock mount and you will see what I am talking about. The guy I bought it from has run it for years with no issues so I doubt there will be one now.