C'Dale built up motard Street legal

cannondale27

#41 Post by cannondale27 »

That there is very good advice.Well said Wistech.It sucks but its reality.I will add the reason you CANT trust the seller is because majority are still in denial that there are crank and cam issues with stockers and I dont fault them.The cam issue is a gradual thing that loss of power isnt noticed unless on a dyno or you drop a valve.Crank its same thing and worse in the bikes.The bikes seem to run forever even with HUGE gouges worn in rod and pin.Fooled me on my own bike.I took it apart fully expexting a good crank and it was terrible just running on borrowed time.All the updates and regular maintainence are so important yet most dont think about it till things go boom.As a example I know for a fact that Timbo has sold hundreds of CP pistons yet only two or three people have replaced them at 1year or less like is normal for any High performance piston.So either most arent riding or they are dancing with the Devil.

2000ex

#42 Post by 2000ex »

Agreed on all points. I knew the crank could be a crapshoot, I understand that. I own a lot of these things and surely know what to expect when tearing them down. My problem is the explanation from someone who surely knows bikes and races them at a national level. Most of the time those types of people are VERY knowledgable about how a machine runs and the maintenance schedule. I trusted his judgement on how it ran and how many hours were on it. If it were from someone who had no idea, I would have taken the condition as surely worst case. If anyone were to start this bike without question they would have known something was wrong with it. When buying these things sight unseen that is the calculated risk you take. I guess my calculator must have been broken on this one sleep.gif

It is what it is at this point, and all I can do now is make sure she returns BETTER than showroom from her current state. Had Timbo fix the sticky bucket and open up the intake throat for 6 spare heads while I was at the compound, so stay tuned!

Wistech...in regards to 10 hours per oil change some people change the oil after every ride, so that cannot be a cut and dry indication of hours

ltdyfz450

#43 Post by ltdyfz450 »

I change my oil after every ride. About 80 quarts this year and 100 hours of pounding.

2000ex

#44 Post by 2000ex »

Check out these pics I took from my phone

Think there is a problem?
[attachment=9480:Wrecked_Chain.jpg]

Check out the Oil Bridge
[attachment=9481:Sawed_Oil_Bridge.jpg]

[attachment=9482:Side_Engine.jpg]

I could reuse this LOL
[attachment=9485:Timing_Chain.jpg]

Ground down Idler Bracket
[attachment=9479:Idler_Bracket.jpg]

Happyboy

#45 Post by Happyboy »

omg chain. Mine wasn't anywhere close to that worn out.

wistech

#46 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Nov 24 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wistech...in regards to 10 hours per oil change some people change the oil after every ride, so that cannot be a cut and dry indication of hours

Which is why the ~ in there. I change long before it turns black as well.

cannondale27

#47 Post by cannondale27 »

Wes you know far more than you give yourself credit for.Actually at a pro level the bike guys know less than anyone as far as maintainence since they dont do it.Sponsors do.

canniballz

#48 Post by canniballz »

And you said it still ran like that laugh.gif

2000ex

#49 Post by 2000ex »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...no dig on the dirtbike guys, but I will be immediately installing a thumb throttle on my E-Tard once I dig through my pile of inventory and put together a solid running motor. tongue.gif I have only seen one done before. One of my buddies installed one on his xr400 and all his dirtbike friends bust his nuts about it and he just laughs. Anyone else have one?