I guess by now everyone has figured out that I...

tearoam

#1 Post by tearoam »

need an engine. Its for my barely ridden S440, this will be the second rebuild this year unless I scrore a complete one to rebuild. Thanks for the forum all.

Tony
571-235-9630

that would be a rod...

mzavala

#2 Post by mzavala »

QUOTE (tearoam @ Jul 31 2006, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need an engine. Its for my barely ridden S440, this will be the second rebuild this year unless I scrore a complete one to rebuild. Thanks for the forum all.

Tony
571-235-9630

that would be a rod...

Hey that looks like my engine! Do you know what cuase the rod to blow? Here are some of my pics

tearoam

#3 Post by tearoam »

QUOTE (mzavala @ Aug 12 2006, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey that looks like my engine! Do you know what cuase the rod to blow? Here are some of my pics

wow. dude that sucks and its kinda cool... i just strated prepping pulling the engine and have yet to get to the point where i can actually start disecting. what did you find?

mzavala

#4 Post by mzavala »

QUOTE (tearoam @ Aug 12 2006, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow. dude that sucks and its kinda cool... i just strated prepping pulling the engine and have yet to get to the point where i can actually start disecting. what did you find?

I got it apart but I thinking maybe wrong map (rev limit too high or timing way off) even though it ran pretty good. At first I thouhgt it was because a seized wrist pin but the pin is not seized. So actually I'm still trying to figure out for sure. I'll keep you posted, we sure don't want this to happend again!

tearoam

#5 Post by tearoam »

QUOTE (mzavala @ Aug 12 2006, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got it apart but I thinking maybe wrong map (rev limit too high or timing way off) even though it ran pretty good. At first I thouhgt it was because a seized wrist pin but the pin is not seized. So actually I'm still trying to figure out for sure. I'll keep you posted, we sure don't want this to happend again!

hmm, makes sense. i was riding street at the time had gone thru the break in period then was out for it's first ride got nearly 100miles , the best hundred in my life and was about to take a break (no pun intended) and was decelerating to a light and then "pop".
[attachment=937:attachment]
[attachment=938:attachment]

mzavala

#6 Post by mzavala »

QUOTE (tearoam @ Aug 12 2006, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm, makes sense. i was riding street at the time had gone thru the break in period then was out for it's first ride got nearly 100miles , the best hundred in my life and was about to take a break (no pun intended) and was decelerating to a light and then "pop".
[attachment=937:attachment]
[attachment=938:attachment]

I was barely into the ride about 15 minutes I just started into a straight away was barely getting on it when wap & that was it. Mine also screwed up the armature on the starter.

mzavala

#7 Post by mzavala »

QUOTE (mzavala @ Aug 12 2006, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was barely into the ride about 15 minutes I just started into a straight away was barely getting on it when wap & that was it. Mine also screwed up the armature on the starter.

Looks like I may have found out what happend! It looks like the balance shaft gear or/& the crankshaft gear that drives the balance shaft went out of timing because the crank would not go the complete 360 deg without the counter weight of the balance shaft hitting the rod at the journal. Most likely to me looks to be the roll pin in the crank shaft gear breaking, eventhough it looks to be ok. I'll get in to it a little tomorrow, thanks for your advice & help.

azcannon

#8 Post by azcannon »

what kind of fuel were you running tearoam. I think that is a larger problem particularly with this type of failure

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (mzavala @ Aug 12 2006, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like I may have found out what happend! It looks like the balance shaft gear or/& the crankshaft gear that drives the balance shaft went out of timing because the crank would not go the complete 360 deg without the counter weight of the balance shaft hitting the rod at the journal. Most likely to me looks to be the roll pin in the crank shaft gear breaking, eventhough it looks to be ok. I'll get in to it a little tomorrow, thanks for your advice & help.

Its possible.Never seen it happen but could.If so let us know.Would be a simple preventive measure to use a solid pin rather than the roll pin.

Azzcannon I wont buy any claims of fuel or timing causing these type of failures till I see holes burned through pistons or ring glands broke off with pitting.RPM's though is a accepted cause of breakage.

azcannon

#10 Post by azcannon »

I couldn't back it up if I had too - I am very curious though. I am very skeptical of the effects of the wrong fuel I also pay a fortune for good gas and don't want to find out I am doin it for nothing. I haven't seen long term detonation issues in one of our motors I have seen a lot of them blow to **** however and there is always a reason. I also like what you said about the piston hitting the crank on mario's motor I have seen marks on the bottom of pistons and never really though about that. I havent used and pistons from a bad rod motor either.I have been asking what ti would take to break a rod like that though and without a immovable force in the cylinder like pre detonation / coolant I can't imagine what could.