Check VIN To See If Stolen

cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is a link to a source for checking VIN's. Not sure if every one is on here but its a good start. Of course if no title or registration remember the risk is all yours if you buy. If it found to be stolen everything you have in it is usually confiscated and your out your $. Best bet is just don't buy if no title or registration and maybe even turn it in since no reason anyone should have one without some type of paperwork.

http://theftaz.azag.gov/index.php

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 25 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a link to a source for checking VIN's.Not sure if every one is on here but its a good start.Of course if no title or registration remember the risk is all yours if you buy.If it found to be stolen everything you have in it is usually confiscated and your out your $.Best bet is just dont buy if no title or registration and maybe even turn it in since no reason anyone should have one without some type of paperwork.

http://theftaz.azag.gov/index.php

Well, with quads there is plenty of reason people don't have paperwork. They are idiots. And since these machines are what, 6+ years old and have been bought and sold a few times the paperwork is usually gone. I know tons of people that don't register them since we would have to pay taxes then, then all you have is a cert of origin, which is useless when it comes down to it. sad.gif

I have paperwork on half of mine. Just be sure you know the background of what your buying.

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ May 25 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, with quads there is plenty of reason people don't have paperwork. They are idiots. And since these machines are what, 6+ years old and have been bought and sold a few times the paperwork is usually gone. I know tons of people that don't register them since we would have to pay taxes then, then all you have is a cert of origin, which is useless when it comes down to it. sad.gif

I have paperwork on half of mine. Just be sure you know the background of what your buying.

Definitely I have most of ours registered as most came with titles. But a few of them haven't and I got one titled and it was clean, but it was a pain to get it titled. DNR had to come inspect it and call in the VIN, then fill out some paperwork. I'm sure he had no idea what kind of quads he was dealing with. I have an ATK that has no title, this one might be real fun to register... unsure.gif

Many states don't require registration of ATV's which means it would be easy to lose track of the title. I have many friends who still don't have the titles to their new quads that are paid off because of ridiculously slow dealers.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Well at very least a bill of sale should be acquired. I have one without anything and like said it is a Major Pain to deal with especially when there are plenty for sale that have a title, Certificate of origin or registration.

250rmike

#5 Post by 250rmike »

I know at least in Maryland you can't even get atvs titled you get a bill of sale and certificate of origin. That is the reason both of mine that I had were never titled.

yamadjs08

#6 Post by yamadjs08 »

I should have mentioned that. Definitely have a bill of sale. I've never bought one with out writing up a bill of sale. It is also required in the state of Iowa to register anything.

compmoto

#7 Post by compmoto »

what if ..., u bought one from a someone who bought it from a "manufacturer rep" ? Wouldn't that unit come with a "MSO" ? I am 3rd in line, on one that has that particular origin. Wouldn't there be a way of tracing one back to Cannondale ? Without the original MSO ? KDeal ? The bike I refer to , is a '03 X440. I bought it from a guy in VA. , who used it to race MX. He got it from the Cannondale rep. Now, I'm gonna try to sell it...