2003 Cannondale Cannibal for sale

Not Sure

#1 Post by Not Sure »

Hi folks, this is my first post. I'm sure I'll post to CL and ebay, but I wanted to give a group of aficionados first crack. I've owned this machine since 4/16/2004. I am the original owner, and I bought it new from Honda Sport Cycles (now Velocity Cycles) in Mechanicsburg PA. They were an authorized Cannondale dealer. The day I bought it I took it out to do the break in, brought it home to do a tranny and engine oil change, and my 5 year old son was "play driving" it and turned the key to on. It sat that way overnight and the next time I went to start it the battery was dead. I had just shelled out all my dough for the machine and didn't have any left for a new battery. So it sat till the next year. Next year comes, I buy a battery, all ready to install it and do the oil change. Removing the battery was not as easy as I expected. That sucker was in there TIGHT. So I break out a pry bar (I know, I know... bad idea) and as I'm trying to pry the battery out the pry bar slips and punches a hole in the radiator. sad.gif The quad has sat since then due to a divorce and being broke. Now 12 years later my son is 17 and I'd like to sell the quad so he has some dough to buy a vehicle with. So I spent a portion of my income tax refund to get this machine running. I took it to a local motorcycle shop (Ken Kauffman at Kauffmans Performance Plus in Duncannon PA 717-645-4800). I purchased a new radiator and battery, and the fuel pump wasn't working at that point so one of those as well, and Ken installed the parts and cleaned the fuel system. He also completed the first fluid change that I started 12 years ago. So what I have at this point is a NOS Cannibal with break in and first fluid change complete. I won't be out riding it since I have no way to haul it anymore (my dad hauled it back and forth to the shop) and I got it running again with the sole intention of selling it. I have clear title in hand. The VIN is 5B6BD31383B000101.

I have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks reading many, many threads on this site, so I am aware how some of the members feel about pricing of the Cannondale quads. I've read several threads about Cannondale quads that have a similar backstory as mine e.g. machines that were purchased and parked for whatever reason, nipples still on the tires, pristine, unridden condition etc. and some members having issues with what they feel are exorbitant asking prices. As one member put it "... expecting to fund retirement from the sale" or the fact that these machines aren't "rare", which I couldn't disagree with more. Did I read on one thread total production of Cannondale quads was around 4300? Compared to how many million by the Big 3, or just Honda alone? I am making these statements because I don't expect replies such as "You'll never get that for that machine" and then offering $500 or other ridiculous low ball offer. If you have a reasonable offer please make it. I don't have to sell the machine, I just wanted to do something nice for my son. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell, he'll eventually graduate, get a job and make enough money to have a down payment on his own. And then I'll go riding smile.gif

I'll do pass through with admin to avoid Paypal fees.
$2900

Not Sure

#2 Post by Not Sure »

QUOTE (Not Sure @ Apr 3 2017, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi folks, this is my first post. I'm sure I'll post to CL and ebay, but I wanted to give a group of aficionados first crack. I've owned this machine since 4/16/2004. I am the original owner, and I bought it new from Honda Sport Cycles (now Velocity Cycles) in Mechanicsburg PA. They were an authorized Cannondale dealer. The day I bought it I took it out to do the break in, brought it home to do a tranny and engine oil change, and my 5 year old son was "play driving" it and turned the key to on. It sat that way overnight and the next time I went to start it the battery was dead. I had just shelled out all my dough for the machine and didn't have any left for a new battery. So it sat till the next year. Next year comes, I buy a battery, all ready to install it and do the oil change. Removing the battery was not as easy as I expected. That sucker was in there TIGHT. So I break out a pry bar (I know, I know... bad idea) and as I'm trying to pry the battery out the pry bar slips and punches a hole in the radiator. sad.gif The quad has sat since then due to a divorce and being broke. Now 12 years later my son is 17 and I'd like to sell the quad so he has some dough to buy a vehicle with. So I spent a portion of my income tax refund to get this machine running. I took it to a local motorcycle shop (Ken Kauffman at Kauffmans Performance Plus in Duncannon PA 717-645-4800). I purchased a new radiator and battery, and the fuel pump wasn't working at that point so one of those as well, and Ken installed the parts and cleaned the fuel system. He also completed the first fluid change that I started 12 years ago. So what I have at this point is a NOS Cannibal with break in and first fluid change complete. I won't be out riding it since I have no way to haul it anymore (my dad hauled it back and forth to the shop) and I got it running again with the sole intention of selling it. I have clear title in hand. The VIN is 5B6BD31383B000101.

I have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks reading many, many threads on this site, so I am aware how some of the members feel about pricing of the Cannondale quads. I've read several threads about Cannondale quads that have a similar backstory as mine e.g. machines that were purchased and parked for whatever reason, nipples still on the tires, pristine, unridden condition etc. and some members having issues with what they feel are exorbitant asking prices. As one member put it "... expecting to fund retirement from the sale" or the fact that these machines aren't "rare", which I couldn't disagree with more. Did I read on one thread total production of Cannondale quads was around 4300? Compared to how many million by the Big 3, or just Honda alone? I am making these statements because I don't expect replies such as "You'll never get that for that machine" and then offering $500 or other ridiculous low ball offer. If you have a reasonable offer please make it. I don't have to sell the machine, I just wanted to do something nice for my son. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell, he'll eventually graduate, get a job and make enough money to have a down payment on his own. And then I'll go riding smile.gif

I'll do pass through with admin to avoid Paypal fees.
$3500

Not Sure

#3 Post by Not Sure »

More pix

Not Sure

#4 Post by Not Sure »

QUOTE (Not Sure @ Apr 3 2017, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More pix

Not Sure

#5 Post by Not Sure »

I also forgot to mention I am bdyocum on ebay. I have 100% positive feedback. If you do an advanced search you can search members and look me up that way. I will eventually list this on ebay, and the price will go up to counter the fees.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Thats a crazy cool story on a gem of a quad. Its amazing you were able to not ride it . I would stay off of it though as the value will decrease a lot by riding the "tits on the tires" factor off of it. If I find someone looking I will let them know .

Not Sure

#7 Post by Not Sure »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 3 2017, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a crazy cool story on a gem of a quad. Its amazing you were able to not ride it . I would stay off of it though as the value will decrease a lot by riding the "tits on the tires" factor off of it. If I find someone looking I will let them know .

"Cool story" is debatable. I'd a much rather it went "Bought killer ATV, rode it hard. The end". As far as the tits on the tires, the mechanic must've had a good test drive because I noticed the shale bank in his backyard was all tore up and most of the tits on the rear tires are gone smile.gif Good for him though, I think he got the "Cannondale experience" first hand because he had positive things to say about it. Can ya blame him?

Not Sure

#8 Post by Not Sure »

Here's a Youtube link to the machine cold starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqoRsB6Kbk

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

Nice video. Not trying to dampen your spirits.
But I was told back when I bought my first Dale that I was starting it wrong. They need to be "primed" and then started.
Hit start button just to cycle fuel pump 3 times and then crank.
Good luck with the sale.

Not Sure

#10 Post by Not Sure »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Apr 4 2017, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice video. Not trying to dampen your spirits.
But I was told back when I bought my first Dale that I was starting it wrong. They need to be "primed" and then started.
Hit start button just to cycle fuel pump 3 times and then crank.
Food luck with the sale.

Interesting, I think I read that on here somewhere previously, but that starting sequence didn't make sense to me. If the kill switch is on RUN and you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump doing something which I assumed was priming the engine. Then when you hit the green start button the engine starts to turn over. Are you saying to crank the engine 3 times? Is this just for cold starts? What is the risk of flooding the engine using this method? Is this hard on the starter?

I know the dealer I bought it from mentioned a starting sequence, but I thought it was to listen for the fuel pump to stop before you hit the green start button. I don't honestly remember, that was 13 years ago, and it was a big ~Honda~ dealer here in Central PA...