Tranny wanted 700r4

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I cant imagine why but the tranny is going out of my 1985 corvette. wink.gif Must have happened when Tim drove it.LOL
If anyone has a used one in good running condition or a good line on rebuilts I would apreciate it. I can barter my services for the tranny or cash.
On a side note are all 700r4's the same from the 80's?
Different overdrive ratio?
Tailshaft housings the same.?
The tranny on mine is bolted with a bridge system to the differential?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Its a Corvette now you pay!Ditch it and convert to a six speed manual.

#13atk

#3 Post by #13atk »

It looks like the corvette tranny is different, it costs 500 more than the standard 700r4. My brother just bought a Monster Transmission rated for 500HP with a torque converter for 1400 with free shipping from this place for a Blazer.

Vette tranny

383astro

#4 Post by 383astro »

82-84 700R4s have a 27 spline input shaft, 85-93 have 30 spline. 94 changed to 4L60E (Electronic controlled instead of TV cable). Corvettes had a .500 boost valve and a "corvette" servo and a few other little tricks to beef it up a little. All years have a .70 4th gear ratio. Not sure on the tailhousing. They also have the lowest first gear of any tranny (3.06). The 700s in cop cars are built like the vette except it allows the tranny to shift into OD under full throttle so you can do like 150-160 (on a regular 700 cruise in od and hammer it, it kicks down to 3, and you have to let off to get it to go into od. Just my 2 cents.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I could junk my 91 chevy van and steal the 700r4 out of it but Im not sure if its a drop in fit. I could rebuild it my self but I have not done any car trannies ,just the big 5 spd allisons and that was 15 years ago. Right now it slips in first ,has hanging shifts and the fluid is burnt. I read about the gear ratios being differentt and had noticed the full throttle 4th shift. As long as there are no issues like speedo gears and tailshaft housings. Id rather just slap a used one in because of cost and time constraints. Dont want to take away from Dale building.

383astro

#6 Post by 383astro »

speedo gears arent hard to change. Just use the one out of yours and swap it. If you got a clean work area and alot of spare time to clean everything, then I would rebuild it. A basic rebuild kit is about 150.00. A salvage would charge you 300.00 or more and there is no guarantees. I have never heard of a 700r4 haveing a different od gear ratio, but you never know. I have no idea on the tailhousing, but it couldnt be that hard to change. I am pretty sure the tranny out of your van would go right in with the exception of the tailhousing possibly being different. I have never rebuilt a 4 speed but have built many turbo 350 and 400s. So if I can rebuild one then its for sure you can.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Its mind boggling the shear amount of updates that tranny has had over the years.
So far the best price I found on a rebuild is $850 from monster transmision. Not bad. My local shops are 500 more. Any of you guys have a line for better pricing or discounts. I might try to get one from work but they usually only deal with the big industrial trannies. Help a brotha out. smile.gif

ozarkdaler

#8 Post by ozarkdaler »

There is a place in Missouri we used to get transmissions from and they had an awesome warranty. I will post it in a few minutes

Alright I called the number and it was disconnected so I called my brother and he is a big wheel for Oreilly Auto Parts and he said that TAT was out of business. He also said about the best bet would be Aamco they had a good warranty and had pretty good service. So the website is below they are a franchise. Hope this helps.

aamco.com

fig

#9 Post by fig »