New Battery

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

First is a question... The YTX12-BS is the drop in bigger battery, right?

Assuming so, does anyone that's headed to the Group Ride have access to one at a decent price? I'd prefer a Yuasa as I just feel like they make good batteries. Don't come at me with an Everstart!

Or, do you know the best/cheapest place to get one?

My 9 is still holding a little charge, but I know it's old and I don't want to have a battery problem. Those tend to put a C'dale out of action!

Fash00

#2 Post by Fash00 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Sep 14 2007, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First is a question... The YTX12-BS is the drop in bigger battery, right?

Assuming so, does anyone that's headed to the Group Ride have access to one at a decent price? I'd prefer a Yuasa as I just feel like they make good batteries. Don't come at me with an Everstart!

Or, do you know the best/cheapest place to get one?

My 9 is still holding a little charge, but I know it's old and I don't want to have a battery problem. Those tend to put a C'dale out of action!

yes the 12bs is the bigger drop in. I have a spare ill sell

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

A Yuasa? How old is it? Can you check the current voltage on it for me? And last but not least... Haw far away were you?

Honestly, my preference is a brand new one so I know exactly what I've got. But if it's a deal, I might jump.

Thanks.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Ive gone back to the stock replacent sizes from parts unlimited. They are made by yuasa and are around 45 bucks. Im done wasting money on the bigger ones . After a few months they perform the same as a stocker anyway plus they dont last as long as the stock batteries. When tuned correctly any battery will start a dale everytime.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (wistech @ Sep 16 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a few months they perform the same as a stocker anyway plus they dont last as long as the stock batteries.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for the heads up on the shorter life span- that matters to me. I've never had a problem with the stocker starting, but a quicker spinover would be helpful on dead engine starts.

Heck, my quad has sat for 2 months or so and it'll still start. However, I know that's what is bringing it near the end of its life.

I don't have Parts Unlimited connections like that. Can you bring a new one to Majestic for me? I can Paypal or give you cash at the ride.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I see that with batteries in fleet service all the time . Everyone talks more crnaking amps but to get more amps the plates are made thinner for more surface area. This sacrifices lifespan .
A dale say needs 85 to 100 amps at a minimum to start the engine at 10.5 volts. A stocker can produce 120+ for most of its life and then it drops off to where voltage drops down to 9.5 volts or less.This causes hard starting. A 200 amp battery will satisfy the demand for the starter easily but after a few months most of the ones I have tested have dropped off to well below 150 amps where as a stocker that is 1 or 2 years old and has never been damaged from overcharging or discharging will still put out 120 amps .

I can bring a battery and check on the current price on th parts unlimited from my local shop.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

The batteries are 48 bucks.

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

I went with the Odyssey PC545.

CCA: 185

Pulsed cranking amps for initial 5 secs: 545

Weight: 12lbs

2 year warranty

Battery is a dry cell battery with superior vibration resistance.

big catch is that it is about 1" wider so I have make a custom box for it, but it fits in the space provided without having remove anything. Once the motor has a high comp piston I'm sure the pulse cranking amps will be nice especially in the winter here is Wisconsin.

I picked this one up at batteries plus, retails for $120 but I get my work discount Battery is also listed on the that batteries4everthing site listed in another post for $89 plus shipping.

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

Wistech, if you still have a chance to get one, I'll take it. Assuming it's in the box and needs acid and charging, don't worry about that. I'll hold off till I need it. I'm bringing a charger in case that happens to be this weekend, though. Guess I should check to see if my little inverter will carry the charger on 2A. Let me know if you want Paypal or cash in PA. I assume you need to pay tax to, right?

Thanks.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (peterock @ Sep 18 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went with the Odyssey PC545....

Thanks for the reply. I'm going the cheap route for now. It's still good to have that info posted so the next guy searching battery can see the options.