Battery Maintanier?

Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

I was wondering who made a good trickle charger for maintaining batteries? I went through 2 walmart ones in the last year.. well the firt one lasted a year the other one a day.I was looking at Battery Tenders chargers but they only have seperate 6&12V chargers and i was looking for something with both 6 & 12 V functions. If i have to, i guess i could buy two battery tenders?? mad.gif

wright

#2 Post by wright »

I have a Battery Tender got it at Auto Zone it dose 6 volt and 12 volt, have had it about 5 years with no problem, knock on wood.

Nickc711

#3 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wright @ Nov 2 2007, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Battery Tender got it at Auto Zone it dose 6 volt and 12 volt, have had it about 5 years with no problem, knock on wood.

I didnt see that on their website?,
http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath...45f1ca54eb99fa7
this is the same battery tender correct..
the one i bought from walmart was a schumacher

wright

#4 Post by wright »

Sorry, the one have is a battery companion made by Schumacher, but it still works good, must of thought about buying the battery tender or it was right next to the one i got?

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wright @ Nov 2 2007, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, the one have is a battery companion made by Schumacher, but it still works good, must of thought about buying the battery tender or it was right next to the one i got?

ya thats the one i have. It seems only to fail on the 6v batteries..it failed on 6v batteries both times, it was also two seperate 6v batteries...do you charge any 6v batteries?

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

Most of the chargers are made in China these days, and are not consistent. It's a crap shoot. The better ones actually put out LESS trickle current.

To be safest, use the smaller trickler, and keep it plugged into an Xmas tree timer, and set to 3 or 4 hours daily. Those timers should be going on sale right now!

Psychosis

#7 Post by Psychosis »

I've used a battery tender that does both 6 and 12v but only use the 12v. One's lasted about 4yrs now and the other 3yrs and when the quads are together I've always just left them plugged in 24hrs a day unless the quad was off. Whenever the quad was sitting still it'd be plugged in. Have yet to replace one.

Nickc711

#8 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Nov 2 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used a battery tender that does both 6 and 12v but only use the 12v. One's lasted about 4yrs now and the other 3yrs and when the quads are together I've always just left them plugged in 24hrs a day unless the quad was off. Whenever the quad was sitting still it'd be plugged in. Have yet to replace one.

what kind? and model?

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

I honestly don't have a clue. Bought them both on Ebay awhile back. All I know is it says Battery tender on them. I can get the model numbers but they are currently in a storage compartment and can't right now.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

I mis-understood the first post. We haven't had many chargers fail, and probably have about 10 of them here in just about every model. But several batteries have failed from over-bubbling with even the lowest "rated" chargers, and not consistently with a particular brand of charger. That's why limiting the ON cycle with a timer has certainly helped the battery life. But, whether that would prolong the life of a borderline charger, I have no clue.