Exhaust cans

kwik man

#1 Post by kwik man »

I'm looking for a set of exhaust cans to make a custom big bore ss dual exhaust system
thank you
jeff

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

cobradaler has some I believe.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Go on ebay and get anything from aluminum,stainless and Titanium. We got Ti mufflers new in the box for as low as $50. They even came with Ti midpipes for the bike they were from. If my pics are still up on the duals thread it should help you out. A note to help out is in order to make the dual more symetrical on both sides you need 2 stock headpipes to use both left side tubes. You also need to heat up and mold in the right side of the gas tank bottom for tube clearance. The pipes Tim got from Cobradaler snaked around the tank and were rubbing on the chain. I don't know if he ever fixed that issue. I'm not sure he ever built any other sets.

cobradaler

#4 Post by cobradaler »

Yes, I have built eight sets now, I have one left and I never had any issues with them rubbing anything, the ones I built for Tim I didnt have the cans to build them to so I had to guess how the cans he had were going to sit, on my duals I have the cans mounted on the quad then build to them.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Thats how I built them as well. I just copied the left muffler mounting location from left to right so to switch back and forth between single and duals the muffler clamp is in the same spot on the can.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 22 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A note to help out is in order to make the dual more symetrical on both sides you need 2 stock headpipes to use both left side tubes.

OK, I understand that on a multi cylinder engine you want as close to the exact flow and length pipe on each cylinder. But since this is a single does this make much of a differance? Has anybody checked this on a dyno? I only ask this because I'm planning on getting back on the exhaust I've been working on, after Christmas that is.

From what I've read, some NASCAR teams don't run exact length tubes on their engines because the HP gains are minimal and only at a certin RPM. They can change the RPM the gain is at by the length of the tube. Keeping the weight low and left is always an advantage but I think a non matched length would also open up airflow through the engine compartment.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

I can tell you that smaller diameter, multiple bends (even with hydro formed bends) and reversion from the other pipe can make a big difference. And, yes I dynoed it.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

I just mentioned that more so it would look nice .LOL

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

wacko.gif

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

OK you two, be nice. I really want to know how the pipe length affects the power. I do kind-fo have two differant actually three differant set-ups I am working on. Im not looking to go after the dyno king title (at least not now). but would like to take a crack at 27's silent but deadly run. or even better somthing like peterock posted

quote from peterock "We should have a new dyno war.......one that would probably fit the majority of people on this site.
Max HP at 5500rpm and MX HP at 10,500rpm. The king would be the motor with the least change between the two with factoring in the peak HP number."

Or even starting from a lower rev. YEAH.......... I want to eat my cake and have it too...lol. I don't want to give up anthing at the top either. It took me a while to get our banshee set-up the way we have it and I should freshen it up and dyno it but anyone who has ridden it or at least the ones that have ridden other banshe's were allways amazed at the lowend I had got from it and it will still outrun our Moto (only mod on the Moto is a timbo stroker) bad thing is it all but removed that thrill you get when a Banshee hits the powerband