Engine

rayspeed

#11 Post by rayspeed »

That could also describe a cam going flat and supsequent valve dropping... which can be worse than a rod bearing going in my opinion.
Yeah 75 hours on a trial motor is nothing at all.

cannondalemaine

#12 Post by cannondalemaine »

Yea i was thinking about the valves but i didnt hear any noises when she died just bogged down and die. Id imagine if i loss a valve i would hear some carnage going on haha. Thanks for the input guys i will let you know exactly what happened when i tear her apart within the next couple days and try to take on the project myself.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

I think you guys need to buy a hour meter and really see what 75hrs of riding is.That is a ton of hours.Other things that will go out BEFORE 75hrs:

25-30 FULL tanks of gas 3.5gals each!
2 sets of tires
Balljoints
Swingarmbearings
Carrier bearings
A-arm bushings
Shocks
Chain
Grips

If you didnt go through all that you dont have 75hrs unless just idling or putting around.

peterock

#14 Post by peterock »

what he said..................

That is why anytime I see someone complain about motor problems with this many hours, you reallly have to question it. If there are really that many hours on that motor, then you got your money's worth.

When was it rebuildt?

kevin444

#15 Post by kevin444 »

well,

i finally tore mine down after it jsut died in the dunes after making 100% power. We did a compression test and barley got 30psi! so we figured we sucked a ring or some type of ring damage.....keep in mind this was a complete rebuild from a new crank up to the top with new head / cams. well i open her up to find that the decomp exploded and a piece of the decomp got logged in the intake cam, luckily it the shear pins broke off in the cam and the only damage is the cam "shear pins not the lobe?" and the bucket. either way why did this damm thing break on my like that? this was a new cam right from Canniboomer......well be bolting her back up probably tomorrow night though, as soon as the cams come in.

on another note the piston and sleeve were in great shape!

let talk about hrs here.....i've ridden every weekend for almost the last 4 months "trust me i had to pull may strings....not to mention getting married in 3 weeks!, no joke both sat and sunday almost ever week! i figure a minimum of 4hrs a day and 8hrs a weekend; we ride hard too, three trips to the big dunes as well.

4hrs a day X2 =8hrs a weekend
8hrs x16weeks =128hrs

we can round that down to 110 or so.....either way we rode alot! not to mention im here in the damm desert "Las Vegas" where the last month it was 110* plus when riding.....were shutting them all down for the next few weeks.....lost of upgrades, powder costing, and engine building between our group!

i'm still upset about the de-comp, this quad is somewhat expensive, but is worth it in the long run.....

sorry for rambling......

Kevin

Kuma

#16 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondalemaine @ Jul 21 2009, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea i was thinking about the valves but i didnt hear any noises when she died just bogged down and die. Id imagine if i loss a valve i would hear some carnage going on haha. Thanks for the input guys i will let you know exactly what happened when i tear her apart within the next couple days and try to take on the project myself.

If you can't hear some carnage going on then you must not be talking about a Cannondale laugh.gif

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (kevin444 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well,

i finally tore mine down after it jsut died in the dunes after making 100% power. We did a compression test and barley got 30psi! so we figured we sucked a ring or some type of ring damage.....keep in mind this was a complete rebuild from a new crank up to the top with new head / cams. well i open her up to find that the decomp exploded and a piece of the decomp got logged in the intake cam, luckily it the shear pins broke off in the cam and the only damage is the cam "shear pins not the lobe?" and the bucket. either way why did this damm thing break on my like that? this was a new cam right from Canniboomer......well be bolting her back up probably tomorrow night though, as soon as the cams come in.

on another note the piston and sleeve were in great shape!

let talk about hrs here.....i've ridden every weekend for almost the last 4 months "trust me i had to pull may strings....not to mention getting married in 3 weeks!, no joke both sat and sunday almost ever week! i figure a minimum of 4hrs a day and 8hrs a weekend; we ride hard too, three trips to the big dunes as well.

4hrs a day X2 =8hrs a weekend
8hrs x16weeks =128hrs

we can round that down to 110 or so.....either way we rode alot! not to mention im here in the damm desert "Las Vegas" where the last month it was 110* plus when riding.....were shutting them all down for the next few weeks.....lost of upgrades, powder costing, and engine building between our group!

i'm still upset about the de-comp, this quad is somewhat expensive, but is worth it in the long run.....

sorry for rambling......

Kevin

How many times did you have to fill up on gas on those weekends??

cannondalemaine

#18 Post by cannondalemaine »

Had it rebuilt about a year and a half now, still not through my first set of holeshot hd tires with the engine. 75 hours was on the high side like i said i really dont think it was quite that much but i dont have an hour meter so who knows. Its just funny they call it a (reliability kit)! Oh well i was just looking for an engine but now i guess im gonna try to rebuild this myself, have never done it so it may take a while. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the offers guys

kevin444

#19 Post by kevin444 »

its not that bad at all.....may look a little overwhelming at fist with the timing and all, but after doing mine twice, i fell that i could do i blindfolded. besides its nice to know how your engine works / the mechanics of it.....good luck. Also, everyone one this site helps so much! you'll see makes the posts and responds......

kevin

kevin444

#20 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 21 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many times did you have to fill up on gas on those weekends??

hard to say, but i usually bring a 5gallon along with a full gas tank, depending on how im hauling the quad; upright or flat....id say 1 1/2 -2 tanks a day depending on the riding. in the dunes these guys drink gas, but out of the dunes there much better on gas than a carb.....sometimes very little at all.....

quick question.....what gas caps can we use with the dale.....stupid question, just have yet to try swap with another.....

Kevin