Factory prototype crank wanted

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I am looking for a crank end .i dont need the whole crank just the flywheel side with the extended snout for the prototype double flywheels. I dont know if they even exist but maybe someone might have heard what dusty shelf they might be sitting on. Also there must also have been a special regulator for the double stator .
Maybe this pic will jog some memory .

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Bet that bad boy won't stall too easy on the woods trails. But dang, talk about a hp robber.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I dont think the weight would rob horsepower but it would slow spool up time. The other huge problem with the aluminum flywheel is being its 2 pounds being driven by the same crappy hub that spins on the stock flywheels. To use it it will need a plate update and weight reduction. But its useless without a much longer crank snout so either I find an original or build one . I could also make an extension on the center hub but going that far I mind as well build the whole flywheel.
I do have more hope for the steel flywheel( its not stainless BTW) . It has 2 magnet rings tight together so I could just take a couple of stators and rewind them with a much thicker plate section . I have already did some weight reduction on the steel flywheel my machining down the outer thick hub part . I took 7 ounces off . So it is much lighter than the double aluminum flywheel and about 6 ounces heavier than the stocker. I am considering drilling some lightening holes like Waynes flywheels but they wont be as big as to weaken the center section.

The odd thing about the double stator is they took the output leads and wired them together so there is only 2 wires coming out of it. If it had such high output I would think it would be overloading the wiring and the only 2 wire regulators are the little bike ones. I can use just about any 3 wire regulator off a big motorcycle for the custom rewound stator.
If this works out then 5 more amps would be handy for bigger lighting and the electric shifter/ air compressor kits. Right now they are marginal even with no fan or lights.

Brad Oakley

#4 Post by Brad Oakley »

ATK ended up with a number of the cranks you're looking for. However, they pressed them apart to scavenge the connecting rods. Whether or not they saved the lobes... You could ask Lee up at ATK. They also had some of the double-stators, double-flywheels, and "extended" billet flywheel covers; to deal with the greater length. I was told that the objective was to create a bike that could be entered into races like the Bajas and Dakkar Rally - where greater lighting capacity was needed.

John, I'll check with some of my sources for you, to see if any of those parts are still around!

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Yep thats what I gathered . ATK had nothing in the way of crank pieces. Im thinking extending the hub would be better as it would be a simple bolt on instead of a special one off crank. It will take some time to come up with a jig .

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

honestly would get in touch with Crank Works. They could probably just machine you a new extended crank half for a decent price.