D&M kit anyone?

Speedy2222

#1 Post by Speedy2222 »

Looking to see if anyone wants to sell one used, if not i'm just going to buy a new one

sdhow

#2 Post by sdhow »

QUOTE (Speedy2222 @ Mar 3 2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking to see if anyone wants to sell one used, if not i'm just going to buy a new one

puggi sent me this the other day:

"I've got two D&M kits.

One kit is brand new, still in the shrink wrap. I bought it in the last group buy a year ago. It came straight from Optimum. This was the last batch that Optimum produced and they aren't making more.

While I was waiting for the new kit to be made (took over two months) I bought some parts from a guy including his D&M kit.

I want $250 shipped for the new in box kit, or $160 shipped for the used kit without a box."

It's a little more than I wanna spend...but it's cheaper than the new ones! Drop him a line if ur interested.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

Can someone enlighten me? What is the D&M kit and why would I need one? Is this a diagnostic tool ,like an OBD for a car?

pcleiter

#4 Post by pcleiter »

D&M --> Diagnostic and Maintenance

It is mainly a special cable that you use to connect the ECU in your bike to your computer. It allows you to monitor a number of engine parameters - RPM, temperature, voltage... It also allows you to change the fuel injection mapping so that you can fine tune the engine.

It also comes with the necessary software for monitoring the engine and uploading the maps. I think that there is other software that some of the guys use to generate and manipulate maps.

Is a D&M needed by every owner? No really. But it sure makes diagnostics easier.

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

puggi

#6 Post by puggi »

That one on eBay is for the original s500 ecu on the fx400 and mx400. If you have a 1000 ecu you need the D&M software and cable from Optimum. I don't think there is any way to change mapping with the s500 ecu. The eBay mil tool is similar to an obdII reader which shows a fault code but doesn't allow changing any parameters.