cannondale

first cannondale

#1 Post by first cannondale »

i need a clutch master cylinder.any one got one for sale?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

yep,.... in stock, just send an email for prices, and with or without lever, clutch interlock, etc.

But I think you posted about having a hole in your line?,... and having both problems at the same time would be rare. Maybe your master cylinder is OK. You are not the first guy to have questions about bleeding them. Here is some quote off of the Net, answered by some KTM owner -- but Maguras are Maguras, and the same thing applies to our machines:

"First, you will need a big syringe (i used one that a buddy had for giving cows shots) and a piece of plastic tubing (must fit over the bleeder tightly). I used mineral oil (baby oil) in mine and so far have had great luck. You will need to remove the cap on the master cylinder and put the hose over the bleeder on the slave, crack the bleeder and push the fluid up through the hose to the master with the syringe until you get all bubbles out, tighten the bleeder and pump the clutch and hold and then crack the bleeder, do this a few times til it feels good and you are done. Yours being new it may take a few times doing this. Pretty easy really, i was scared to do mine the first time." .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, me again;
Instead of mineral oil, it is best to use genuine Magura Blood, or ATF tranmsission fluid,... but not brake fluid.
And you do not need a huge syringe either, a drugstore syringe is fine,... but the line to the slave nipple must be tight, to not slip off.
And, make sure the red lever adjuster is backed out to free-play, so the fluid will be easy to push through the system.
If still no luck?, give a call, and I'll be happy to sell you a New master, or a complete pre-bled setup.

wanablaze

#3 Post by wanablaze »

^ Wow. Now that's service!

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

Good post Dave.... I would like to add an amendment though if you don't mind. Magura has a service kit that you can order directly from them. I believe it was ~$20 or so. They include Magura Red Blood Mineral Oil with the kit. Extra bottles of it are $2 each. Each bottle will fill a completely dry Dale Magura clutch assembly, with some left over.

We have a couple guys in our group that experience a very slow returning clutch lever in cold weather (read: snowing). So much so that the clutch barely works, because the clutch does not engage properly due to the lever's slow release.

A Magura engineer told me this is quite common when people use standard mineral oil off the shelf (Wal Mart Johnson & Johnson for example). He said the Red Blood is a thinner viscosity mineral oil. They used to have Blue Blood also, which was yet another viscosity, but they now only sell Red Blood for whatever reason.

At only $2 per bottle I recommend using their oil, as it is made for the system. The original Magura oil in the Cannondale was clear, and the engineer at Magura said they do not color the OEM mineral oil for Cannondale, KTM, etc, but it is the same viscosity as the Red Blood formula.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep a guy could probably find a Magura kit locally also, at a nearby KTM dealer.
I still have some bottles of Magura Blood with the Cannondale part number, and it was actually the blue stuff, not clear. ATF fluid has been used by many. And Fork Oil, even better, is available in light weights. I have to wonder if they are much different from the red version of the Magura Blood. We should look into the ATF further I guess, just to reconfirm wazzup, since a bottle of that is already sitting on a shelf in most home garages.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

yep. I needed some magura fluid last week and came up empty at three local dealerships. Had to order some. I bought two small bottles, and all I needed was a few drops. What a pita. I have plenty of ATF sitting here. One question I have is, why mineral oil instead of Dot 4 brake fluid?

Nickc711

#7 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Apr 11 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep. I needed some magura fluid last week and came up empty at three local dealerships. Had to order some. I bought two small bottles, and all I needed was a few drops. What a pita. I have plenty of ATF sitting here. One question I have is, why mineral oil instead of Dot 4 brake fluid?

i use mineral oil in my brakes on my mountain bike...they says its good for the environment...idk if that is why they use mineral oil though...

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Hey Nick, I wonder if your mountain bike has Magura Brakes, like so many of them do. Since Magura also makes brake systems using the same fluid technology, this subject can get really confusing. Magura blood, ATF, and Fork Oil are mineral-oil based. Using brake fluid is said to damage the seals, and cause other problems in the Maguras. And standard mineral oil is heavier, and without all of those secret additives in the specialty products. I wonder if using brake fluid in a Magura, would be like using brake fluid in a car tranny, with similar bad results.

Nickc711

#9 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Apr 11 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Nick, I wonder if your mountain bike has Magura Brakes, like so many of them do. Since Magura also makes brake systems using the same fluid technology, this subject can get really confusing. Magura blood, ATF, and Fork Oil are mineral-oil based. Using brake fluid is said to damage the seals, and cause other problems in the Maguras. And standard mineral oil is heavier, and without all of those secret additives in the specialty products. I wonder if using brake fluid in a Magura, would be like using brake fluid in a car tranny, with similar bad results.

No...I wish...lol I just got shimanos... Maguras come on motorcycle priced bicycles...or aftermarket

I did not want to spend more on a mountain bike than i did my dale tongue.gif

But i imagine if the seals/rubber components were compatible then brake fluid would work.....but i

am not going to try

shackkat

#10 Post by shackkat »

Baby oil. All it is is mineral oil. Exactly what you buy in the little containers at the M/C shop. Except WAYYYYY cheaper smile.gif Try rite-aid.

KTM guys (including me) have been using baby oil for years.