WTB Piston

Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

I've got a WWE 460 piston and cylinder, One hour ride time, the piston is gauled a bit but the cast cylinder looks fine with honeing. Anybody got just the piston rings and pin?

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

Give Tim a call, going to be your best bet.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

...check the piston carefully for slight cracking and any lifting of the narrow edges at the outsides of the intake recesses.
We have a motor in here with the same? piston kit that had cracked a case within fairly low hours,...... but the piston was doomed to fail quite soon anyway. That piston is stamped R-88 on the underside, FYI.

cool_dude_dotcom

#4 Post by cool_dude_dotcom »

I had a WWE 460 piston kit with less than 40 hours mad.gif

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Kinda looks like a tight sleeve and detonation all in one on that piston. The valve pockets where the metal is thinnest burned through from the heat. That was an issue with the stock bore stroker pistons. Had to be carefull not to cut to deep when clearancing the valves. Shouldnt have been an issue on a bigger bore.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

I would say if you got over 20 hours on that piston it did good.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 2 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kinda looks like a tight sleeve and detonation all in one on that piston. The valve pockets where the metal is thinnest burned through from the heat. That was an issue with the stock bore stroker pistons. Had to be carefull not to cut to deep when clearancing the valves. Shouldnt have been an issue on a bigger bore.

Yup.Not sure about tight though.Were rings gapped?

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Actually, cool_dude's pictures show what I was talking about, but those pictures are extreme, and might be better if moved into the Halls of Destruction thread. I am familiar with that motor also, but that motor had been run since he installed it without the air being bled out from the impeller housing. There was no coolant circulating, so the piston actually did pretty well to last for as long as it did. Still,.... his pictures show the weak point, and my pics below show that similar failure with a low-hour piston.

Here is the particular piston I was referring to before:
It was installed by an ATK dealer in WA state,...but the case cracked within the first 10 hours. The thin outer webs of the piston have humped with hairline cracks indicated by the localized burn marks. The sleeve and tapered-end wristpin were OK though.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Still no substitute for Timbos CP's or the stock Asso obviously.

Did the ring break into the valve pocket?

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep, the base of each pocket is cracking through, and into the ring groove.