slave cylinder

cannonman

#1 Post by cannonman »

Anybody have a spare clutch slave cylinder they'd part with, mine went blewy.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

If you clean up the pieces that broke off in the bearing and remove the snap ring . You can install the piston and pop it back in the engine and it will work fine. Did you do a major clutch adjustment or pull on the lever with the slave off?

cannonman

#3 Post by cannonman »

Without the snap ring in it, it's letting the plunger come out too far and letting clutch fluid past it into the trans. One squeeze it'll work fine the next squeeze of the lever doesnt, let's fluid past the plunger, so a new one is needed.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Ok the reason it blew out is because it came to the end of its stroke and hit the snap ring. Something that should never happen. this can be caused by several things. Most common is the ball is missing the rod is missing or the wrong one or the major adjustment is way off. These thing push the piston back to bottoming out in the slave cylinder after every pull. If you had the clutch apart and changed plates or the number of plates the major adjustment must be done. Did the ball roll out on the floor?

cannonman

#5 Post by cannonman »

It did when I pulled the slave off, yeah. It didn't do this til after I put the motor back together, didn't change a thing clutch wise, that's what makes it weird that it did this now. Guess if it broke before I tore it apart for the rebuild the pressure was keepin everything copesetic and when I took it all apart and relieved the pressure, let the broken pieces move enough to mess with it. Idk? Sucks though,

cannonman

#6 Post by cannonman »

So the adjuster on the pressure plate, the Allen head with lock nut needs adjusted when put back together this time? Turn it out away from the push rod right? That will keep it from happening again hopefully?

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

You loosen the locknut and turn the very tiny allen screw in until you see the clutch plate raise off the pack. You will feel this as well. Then back the screw off 2 turns and tighten the nut back up making sure the screw doesn not turn as well. this seats the piston down in the bore so when the lever is pulled it does not move all the way out far enough to blow the end off. There is a tiny ball that should be held in with a dab of grease that separates the push rod from the adjuster screw. if you have the slave cyllinder off and the push rod slides out most of the time this ball rolls out and on the floor or under a workbench . If you dont put it back in the slave will just just keep trying to take up the space and blow out.

cannonman

#8 Post by cannonman »

Yeah, the ball that goes in before the push rod was in, as was the ball in the plunger.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Perhaps a steel fell off the end of the clutch hub when putting it back together? The clutch would not work if that happened. I dont know if you got it running or not to know this.

cannonman

#10 Post by cannonman »

I guess when I put a clutch in it awhile back and didn't adjust the screw, it broke it. Guess the pressure kept it workin, but when I tore it down and relieved the pressure, let the broke pieces move and no more worky. Lol just my guess on what happened.