So ya think ya need a stroker crank eh?

Post your dyno charts here!
wanablaze

#31 Post by wanablaze »

Hey Wistech,
I looked for a stocker in the files before. Closest I could find was Iceracer's open airbox and Pipe.

I don't believe I have a run for a falicon on file. You'd probably have to ask Derno or Speed1B for that.

If someone has the two files, I'd gladly lay them on top of each other and set them up any way you'd like.

wistech

#32 Post by wistech »

The problem with most of the stock runs is they didnt have the tach leads hooked up so we cannot get a good comparison or torque readings.

wanablaze

#33 Post by wanablaze »

I have some of Iceracer's runs with torque readings, if you're interested.

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

exoticquads@msn.com

wistech

#35 Post by wistech »

OMG!!!!

There is something wrong with the falicons if this is the only one to break 30ft ibs . blink.gif
Its not a low compression one either. Can cyllinder wall drag lose that much? Crank wieght?

Blue line witech 460 stock crank
Red line 467 full ported falicon.

wistech

#36 Post by wistech »

Heres one with Toms monster 505 , The SAS and the 460. Above 10,000 rpm the little screamer owns LOL

thedeatons

#37 Post by thedeatons »

So... Let me start by saying that I love to see all the advances being made on our beloved dales. I am really enjoying the fact that we are still kicking the big 4's butt...

My main complaint is the fact that some of this testing seems to be getting away from real-world numbers in my opinion. For example: why would the quad be tested on the dyno without a stator in place and functioning? How many people run their quad regularly without a stator?

It would be terrible for other quad owners to come in here and check out our big numbers and then notice that minor cheats are being used to achieve them.... Why can't we just beat them as we would show up to the starting gate?

wistech

#38 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Dec 26 2006, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... Let me start by saying that I love to see all the advances being made on our beloved dales. I am really enjoying the fact that we are still kicking the big 4's butt...

My main complaint is the fact that some of this testing seems to be getting away from real-world numbers in my opinion. For example: why would the quad be tested on the dyno without a stator in place and functioning? How many people run their quad regularly without a stator?

It would be terrible for other quad owners to come in here and check out our big numbers and then notice that minor cheats are being used to achieve them.... Why can't we just beat them as we would show up to the starting gate?

Exactly where are we kicking the big 4's butt.

Maybe it wasnt pointed out but the the stator was removed to see how much drag it caused to the engine. Then it was reinstalled but could not be tested because the short flywheel was rubbing on it. It was a research idea being tested. I guarantee there will be quads with stator interuptor switches if we can show worthwhile power benefits so that kind of blows the minor cheats argument out the window.

It was agreed upon by all the guys who actually do dyno testing that there is no such thing as cheating. As long as its rear wheel hp on a quad. Turbo's, nitrous,special fuels,lubes,lightwieght parts,big bores ,strokers,porting ,exhausts.. ect , are all considered fair play.
If one wanted to "cheat " one would put an engine in a bike, run on an engine dyno or do like the majority of builders an never dyno but flat out lie about numbers. Thats much easier ,cheaper ,and if you never post any proof then how can it be disputed? You remember when everyone thought a ltz450r would have 50hp just like advertized in the bike and were shocked when they only had 35 in the quad. Thats cheating .

Im a little confused by your last comment. All quads are tuned as they normally run and for max power under perfect conditions. Thats why we post charts with the mods in the description. This engine just happened to make the most power with a quiet core and air filter on it. Although in the "real world" the quiet core will most likely be removed for the aditional low end torque at the track and left in for trail riding.

thedeatons

#39 Post by thedeatons »

Hey, and thanks for the intuitive reply to my posting....

I guess I am still a little concerned... I mean, don't get me wrong, once again, I love the testing... A lot of this seems for naught though, as dyno runs do not translate into winning... For example, you mentioned that the quiet core would be removed after that run, before being trail ridden. If it were me, I would run my bike on the dyno exactly as I planned to ride it at a particular venue, so I knew exactly what I had and was not fooling myself.

I suppose a stator interrupt switch would be neat, but not for a mere 1hp.... I don't know, our quads are not Winston Cup Qualifiers, or Top Fuel dragsters with major sponsor dollars riding on 1/4 mile. They are awesome off road vehicles, that lose much of their power to wheelspin or pulling a fat rider.... I love the dyno numbers because it shows that proper tuning of air and fuel is being done and therefore more power is accomplished, but at the same time, I think that Dyno King does not mean fastest guy/quad up the hill or around the track...

I hope this doesn't sway your testing or offend you, I am just thinking out loud:)

cannondale27

#40 Post by cannondale27 »

Of course not power is only part of the equation for winning but is a factor nonetheless.This has been hashed over many times.The Dynoking title is just what it says nothing more.But I guarantee that the quads producing the power on the dynos are definitly going to be a factor if your lined up next to one on the track or whatever.That also has been proven.Especially holeshot/dragrace wise.The difference is nothing short of drastic!It takes a real blunder to lose against anything near stock with one of the Dynoking motors.
That said I cant think of any quads I ever saw dynoed that werent tuned at one point or another in same configuration as they were intended to be run all the time.Nothing is being hidden all the dyno runs are posted and although I admit we should do a better job of noting exact configurations being run for each run the only reason it isnt done all the time is lack of time and enthusiasm to try different combos of which many are done.Just ask questions of any runs nobody has ever been dishonest about anything and most little things done are such small differences they really arent even worth mentioning.