DMC

Post your dyno charts here!
MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Went to the DMC website. They have a interesting page on sound checks. I also read the one on
Dyno charts. it was ok, until the part on acceleration, it said

"DMC has the ability to chart and produce incredible acceleration by producing the proper blend of
torque and horsepower increases over a rideable rpm range."

Now I'm no expert on this, but I was on the understanding that torque and HP are directly related.
And can be figured mathamaticaly if you have two of the three variables.
HP=(torque x RPM) devided by 5252. So if you increase one the other will go up?
so how do you blend HP and torque??????

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Isnt time also factored in the equation?I think what they are saying is a 100hp streetbike wont pull a trailer very well yet a 100hp diesel tractor will pull a house.Need a good combo.Luckily we have run into situation yet where we have had huge gains in both except for the Falicons which seem to get more torque than hp gains.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I would say "RPM" is the time factor.

But what I'm getting at is the fact you can't change one without changeing the other. I took my calculator and that formula to some of the Dyno charts here, and it works out. the toque numbers fall off at the lower RPM's but when you multiply it out with the higher RPM the HP numbers keeps going up until the touque falls off enough or you hit the rev limit.

I've done some resurch for some projects I did for the company I used to work for. I found Most of the diesel engines used in equipment or trucks list thier peek torque and HP and they are almost always at the same RPM. My guess would be because that is the highest RPM that engine would be reliable at so thats were they set the govenor? And I have not resuched the power chips or what ever they call them, for the Pickup deisels. but my guess is they up the RPMs by quite a bit? They are claiming 500HP or more with the V8 deisel P/Us. Hook one of them up to a 159,000# gravel train and see how fast you can get it up to 55MPH.

I have to find a Falcon stroker crank Dyno chart and use that formula, but my guess is that it has a big increase in torque at a much lower RPM and the torque falls off real early

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes makes sense.

wanablaze

#5 Post by wanablaze »

1HP is the force required to move 550lbs one foot in exactly one second.

Torque = Horsepower X 5252 / RPM

Therefore, the higher an engine makes it's peak hp, the less torque it will be putting out. Compare the way a modified civic drives to the way a similar hp smallblock chevy drives. It will take more work to get 400 hp out of the civic and it will be done at a higher rpm, a very peaky motor. The smallblock will just lug around town and go whenever you want it to.

I think what they are trying to prove here is that they aren't selling you, say, 100hp at 14,000 rpm with no torque at that rpm. They are claiming to make a motor that makes say, for example, 100hp at a reasonable rpm. This means you don't have to rev the piss out of it and you are in the torque most of the time.

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

You can also change the powercuve huge by changing cam timing.You can change the powerband to a toque monster or a high rpm screamer.When you change the cam timing for hp you loose tq and vise versa or you can change it for a nice mix,but in all reality if done correctly you are not really gaining any power your just adjusting the tq &hp combination and moving the powerband to get what you want.